Cycling in Hertford
Recent years have seen significant growth in the use the bicycle both for leisure purposes and as a means of transport.
The benefits of cycling are manyfold - it is cheap, healthy and environmentally friendly.
There are two main cycleways in Hertford - Eastwards through Hartham to Ware along the River Lee and beyond; and Westwards along the path of the old railway to Welwyn Garden City - The Cole Green Way. Both of these form part of National Cycle Route 61.
The significance of cycling is recognised in the draft Hertford & Ware Urban Transport Plan produced by the local authorities and the following measures have been proposed:
- Cycle networks within and between Hertford and Ware
- The Creation of safer cycling environments through traffic calming and traffic management schemes
- New and upgraded cycleways
- Individual numbered cycle routes which are clearly signposted and easier to follow
- Higher profile cycling routes to schools
- New cycle and pedestrian crossing on the A414 London Road
- Better cycling maps and information
The Countryside Management Service promotes two circular cycle rides from Hertford:
- A circular 13 mile cycle ride through Bramfield, Burnham Green, Bulls Green and Tewin. Click here to find out more.
- A circular ride from Hertford, visiting Brickendon, Bayford and Hoddesdon. Click here to find out more.
Hertford Tourist Information Centre carries a number of leaflets on cycling in and around the town, including an Out & About package that includes five local walking and cycling maps.
The TIC also has a Hertford & Ware Activity Map covering both towns and including Bengeo, Waterford, Hertingfordbury, Hertford Heath, Great Amwell and Hailey.
There are two shops in Hertford that sell bicycles and cycling accessories:
Hartham Lane, SG14 1QN
The New Arcade, Railway St, SG14 1SH