The Cole Green Way runs from Hertford to Welwyn Garden City along the path of a former railway and caters for cyclists, horseriders and walkers.
The path starts by Hertford Football Club and there are entrance and exit points at a number of points along the way. There is also a picnic spot at the site of the former Cole Green Station. The building that was once Hertingfordbury Station survives and is now a private residence. The station at Cole Green as demolished, although the foundations and platforms and railings remain.
The path emerges in Welwyn Garden City just off the B195, Black Fan Road, to the east of the town, having passed under the A414.
The railway line opened in 1858 and served Hertingfordbury and Cole Green on it's way to the junction at Welwyn. The line closed in 1966 along with thousands of others following the implementation of The Beeching Report.
The 4 mile path is popular with cyclists end walkers with much of the surface being well maintained. There are a number bridges along the route, including at St.Mary's Lane, Hertingfordbury, just east of the former station building; Birch Green and Station Road, Cole Green.
Most of the surface is self binding aggregate, with the final 1km at the western end at Welwyn Garden City being tarmac.
A useful leaflet is published by East Herts District Council on The Cole Green Way and the towpath to Ware, both of which form part of National Cycle Route 61. The leaflet is available here (PDF) or on the EHDC website.
This article was last updated on 12th April 2020.