Pot Holes Appearing Everywhere !

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Drama Queen
Pot Holes Appearing Everywhere !

Post by Drama Queen » Wed 29 Jan, 2014 5:20 pm

Am I the only driver currently trying to avoid potholes that are appearing and are very deep, also those fixed not long ago are now like open sores! I am trying not to ruin my car's suspension and this is not always possible when trying to avoid driving into someone else!!!! There are so many on so many different roads its impossible for me to know how and where I should start, but Herts County Council really need to sort it out, some of these holes are on the most used roads day and night and as mentioned, are so deep... I wouldn't be a motorcyclist on our roads thats for sure!

dutch knight

Re: Pot Holes Appearing Everywhere !

Post by dutch knight » Wed 29 Jan, 2014 5:31 pm

When they are reported I think there is a short time limit in which they are meant to be repaired. If they are all reported then they should be done.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 10:14 am

Drama Queen wrote:Am I the only driver currently trying to avoid potholes that are appearing and are very deep, also those fixed not long ago are now like open sores! I am trying not to ruin my car's suspension and this is not always possible when trying to avoid driving into someone else!!!! There are so many on so many different roads its impossible for me to know how and where I should start, but Herts County Council really need to sort it out, some of these holes are on the most used roads day and night and as mentioned, are so deep... I wouldn't be a motorcyclist on our roads thats for sure!
It is even worse cycling. You have to make a quick decision to either swerve to avoid the pothole and potentially get hit by an overtaking vehicle, or brace yourself and slam into it. At the moment I will only take my mountain bike out on the road - I daren't risk my beautifully engineered race bike with super light wheels!

Moose66

Post by Moose66 » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 10:57 am

I agree - and it's particularly dangerous for cyclists in this wet weather.
You can't ride through puddles as they may actually be hiding potholes several inches deep
And it's not even got cold yet! The roads usually break up after it freezes, so things will only be getting worse.

Joby

Post by Joby » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 11:38 am

As I cycle the same route daily I tend to know where all the potholes are and position myself on the road in advance to avoid them (I must say I've been grateful for the patience of most drivers who must wonder why I'm often riding down the middle of the road). But I keep getting caught out by new ones. Beane Road is particularly bad at the moment - the new surface that was put down last year is just crumbling away.

james

Post by james » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 3:43 pm

Ahhh, fellow cyclists. I feel your pain. I've pretty much learnt where they all are now on my daily commute. But I agree, making that split decision as to whether to plough into a pothole or swerve into the path of an overtaking car isn't a situation that we should be put in.

You can report potholes on the herts highways website (google it). They're pretty good at getting out and fixing them, but the fix is usually so shoddy that the pothole is worse than ever three months later.

highwayman

Post by highwayman » Sat 01 Feb, 2014 2:45 pm

Report any highway fault here

http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/tra ... vices/hfr/" target="_blank

Or, if you don't trust HCC and want the CTC to get the national picture, you can log exclusively potholes here

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/" target="_blank