Hertford Primary School

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
bubbaoshea
Hertford Primary School

Post by bubbaoshea » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 10:46 am

Seeing as we have a 'Secondary School' Topic I thought i'd start one on the local Primary Schools. Our son is due to start reception in September and having just sent in our choice of schools, i wondered if anyone on here had any feedback about the local schools?

We are in Bengeo and having spend the past four months touring the local schools managed to dwindle it down to 4, opting for Bengeo in the end as 1st choice in that we felt it offered the most for us. The school had a good feel about it and the headmistress seemed focus on helping the kids and developing in the manner we liked.

Any feedback people have on the local primary schools would be great.

gemipicorn

Re: Hertford Primary School

Post by gemipicorn » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 7:10 pm

I am not sure how to put this, I have been pondering over what to post for a while. However you have asked for honest opinions and I gave feedback on the secondary schools thread so I felt I should reply to this as well.

I know of children that have gone through it and been happy and children that have not. Unfortunately our experience of Bengeo wasn't good, both our daughter and our son had numerous problems there that were never resolved. I am tempted to say more but as we are on a public forum it's probably best that I leave it at that.

As with secondary schools, it depends on the child and what environment suits them as individuals. You know your son best and if you feel it is the right place for him then hopefully it will be.

Good Luck.

jackanapes

Post by jackanapes » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 10:58 am

Have personal experience of Abel Smith and Millmead. Both are very good schools. Abel Smith has a new head, let's hope she can continue as successfully as her predecessor (s).

Abel Smith is a bit more "traditional", strict-ish uniform standards, number order etc for forms, semi-compulsory reading every night etc, Millmead (although this was a couple of years ago) seemed more free form less strict sartorially, no "compulsory" reading at home but a very strong encouragement to read (books on desks) any "down-time" reading is mandatory. Both have a very strong community feel, and very strong inclusive practices/policies etc. Feel free to ask about anything specific.

Georgie

Post by Georgie » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 12:31 pm

Unless your child has a statement of special educational need or a sibling at a school, you will be allocated a school based on its proximity to your home. So there isn't really a choice, more of a case of you'll get what you're given.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 1:17 pm

not true Georgie - for the church associated schools that gets you up the list too - and they diferentiate between attending the actual associated church, vs some other church in the local area.

Georgie

Post by Georgie » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 3:31 pm

The OP didn't mention an interest in faith based schools, which have their own admissions criteria.

My point is that you can spend ages agonising over choices but in the vast majority of cases your allocation will be determined on the distance to school from you house. There is historical data available to give you an indication of the likelihood of your child getting a place based on where you live. So, you can visit as many schools as you wish but at the end of the day you will be allocated your closest school and if that is oversubscribed, your next closest etc...

Last year HCC allowed 4 schools to be chosen instead of 3; there was only one Hertford school we live close enough to get a place in so an extra choice didn't help us or many other Hertford parents I have spoken to.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 4:24 pm

but its important, because your local/closest school might well be a faith based school. So you should realise people could get in above you for that reason. So it's not just about distance at all.

MrsG

Post by MrsG » Sat 08 Feb, 2014 6:12 pm

Whilst it is very important to look round I agree that in reality your address, of course, has a huge factor in determining where you will get offered a place. Many schools are oversubscribed and in practice unless you are very close you will have difficulties in getting in (unless special criteria apply). We have experience of Abel Smith and are very happy there. I have friends with children at Millmead, Bengeo, Wheatcroft, Morgans and Hertingfordbury Cowper and in the main all are happy. We have good schools here so are fortunate.

highwayman

Post by highwayman » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 12:11 pm

Thankfully we are fortunate enough to have very good schools in Hertford. And although the traffic (if you really have to drive) is routinely described as a 'nightmare' it is nowhere near as bad as our larger towns like St Albans and Watford where parents regularly stew in traffic for 40 minutes to get their children to school.

Ours went to Mill Mead (not Millmead) and had a great time.

Support your local school. And walk if you can.

Toady

Post by Toady » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 9:59 pm

I'll second that. When I was young (and before I became a gas guzzling Toad) we all walked to our local school. Obviously that put the estate agents off their "SG13 catchment" stroke..