Enterprise Car Rental Closing

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
TullochArd
Enterprise Car Rental Closing

Post by TullochArd » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 4:54 pm

Just found out that Enterprise Car Rental in Caxton Hill is closing Feb/Mar.

Being a non-Car owner, I used them a lot, and I'm a bit peeved off as there isn't an alternative nationwide company nearby.

Apparently Enterprise are distributing the service amongst other centres in the region - which is a no good if you ain't a car owner to get to them!

codek2

Re: Enterprise Car Rental Closing

Post by codek2 » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 1:36 pm

thats a shame, but there's a brand new one this side of welwyn. They do offer collection, i guess that means they'll now collect you from hertford?

is this about them trying to empty the caxton estate, rather than anything to do with the business not making enough money?

xnetco

Post by xnetco » Thu 07 Feb, 2019 12:04 am

What about the enterprise car share scheme on mead lane? Is that going too?

toplad

Post by toplad » Mon 11 Feb, 2019 2:16 am

codek2 wrote:
Wed 06 Feb, 2019 1:36 pm
thats a shame, but there's a brand new one this side of welwyn. They do offer collection, i guess that means they'll now collect you from hertford?

is this about them trying to empty the caxton estate, rather than anything to do with the business not making enough money?
Likely so.
It’s housing apparently. Think all the other business are pretty much gone now!

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 11 Feb, 2019 3:52 pm

toplad wrote:
Mon 11 Feb, 2019 2:16 am
codek2 wrote:

Likely so.
There is no planning application, let alone permission, for houses.

A developer did hold a pre-application public consultation a few years ago but I think the pushback from both the public and the district council made any residential development highly unlikely.

toplad

Post by toplad » Tue 12 Feb, 2019 1:53 am

Steve wrote:
Mon 11 Feb, 2019 3:52 pm
toplad wrote:
Mon 11 Feb, 2019 2:16 am
codek2 wrote:

Likely so.
There is no planning application, let alone permission, for houses.

A developer did hold a pre-application public consultation a few years ago but I think the pushback from both the public and the district council made any residential development highly unlikely.

Ahhh fair enough! I was just going off what Caxton hill motors had previously said!

jbond

Post by jbond » Tue 12 Feb, 2019 9:08 am

Why is the link between the Caxton Hill industrial estate and the Foxholes industrial estate closed off?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 2:16 am

jbond wrote:
Tue 12 Feb, 2019 9:08 am
Why is the link between the Caxton Hill industrial estate and the Foxholes industrial estate closed off?
It always has been. Both estates are privately owned and I think there were probably issues with the link being used as a shortcut between Ware Road and the A414 - avoiding the Mill Road lights and Bluecoates roundabout.

jbond

Post by jbond » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 8:56 am

It's one of those things that you understand but also makes no sense. Traffic from the Caxton industrial estate out of town and especially to the A10 shouldn't be going via the Bluecoats roundabout. But at the same time, the industrial estate shouldn't be a rat run for everybody else that just avoids it. I'm sure there are things these days that could be done with electronic gates and such like to make the link semi-permeable.

I'm beginning to really hate the "privately owned" argument. It feels like it gets used as an excuse by councils at all levels to avoid their responsibility. And it also feels like it's getting worse as HCC fails to adopt new roads in new housing estates.

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Thu 14 Feb, 2019 5:55 pm

Steve wrote:
Wed 13 Feb, 2019 2:16 am
jbond wrote:
Tue 12 Feb, 2019 9:08 am
It always has been. Both estates are privately owned and I think there were probably issues with the link being used as a shortcut between Ware Road and the A414 - avoiding the Mill Road lights and Bluecoates roundabout.

Closed off not only by concrete blocks but also invariably great piles of fly tipped s**t :evil: