Bircherley Green

News and views on shopping in the county town.
McHardy24

Re: Bircherley Green

Post by McHardy24 » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 11:43 am

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Planning application letter received for signage for Beefeater - if they want to build a premier inn then beefeater usually comes as well.
Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 3:04 pm

Yes, I concede that's pretty conclusive! :lol:
hertford-beefeater.jpg
hertford-beefeater.jpg (58.53 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 4:16 pm

With all the lovely innovative shops, premises and businesses in Hertford and we concede to.... A Premier Inn and a Beefeater ! WTF !!! I thought Hertford didn't want to become a "Clone Town" but really its quite an insult - are you really telling me that nobody else wanted to move into the space or was approached??? :x
monkeyman1974

Post by monkeyman1974 » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 8:29 pm

I was making a wider point about viability. Believe me if there was an opportunity to secure a good covenant on a long lease they would, rather than "keeping their options open"
monkeyman1974

Post by monkeyman1974 » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 8:43 pm

re Drama Queen comment...

Sadly this is the problem; the F&B market is on it's knees at the moment; chains shutting not expanding, and Indies not able to afford the rent, this development is 3 years too late (otherwise it would have been a Cote, Wags, GBK etc).
Sniffer Dog

Post by Sniffer Dog » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 2:08 pm

From memory whenever the hotel at this end of the site was discussed, it was with restaurant underneath.
Premier Inn is a Whitbread brand so it was highly unlikely that the ‘downstairs’ restaurant was going to be anything but a Whitbread facility (Beefeater, Brewers Fayre, etc).
You wouldn’t want to take guests’ money for a room and then see them all hand their pennies to another chain for food. All Premier Inns have a bar and restaurant whether that be incorporated inside, underneath or next door – the Ware Beefeater is on the Premier Inn site for example. Like it or loathe it a Beefeater was always a given here.
TullochArd

Post by TullochArd » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 3:05 pm

Sniffer Dog wrote:From memory whenever the hotel at this end of the site was discussed, it was with restaurant underneath.
Premier Inn is a Whitbread brand so it was highly unlikely that the ‘downstairs’ restaurant was going to be anything but a Whitbread facility (Beefeater, Brewers Fayre, etc).
You wouldn’t want to take guests’ money for a room and then see them all hand their pennies to another chain for food. All Premier Inns have a bar and restaurant whether that be incorporated inside, underneath or next door – the Ware Beefeater is on the Premier Inn site for example. Like it or loathe it a Beefeater was always a given here.
Will it also mean a third Costa coffee for the town? I hope not!