Halifax Branch Closing

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Steve
Project Leader
Halifax Branch Closing

Post by Steve » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 1:43 am

Halifax are closing their Hertford branch in July

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39503707

leo densian

Re: Halifax Branch Closing

Post by leo densian » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 3:40 pm

Yes I had a letter from them to that effect on Friday.

Looks like they will be losing my account then as I ain't going to Harlow every time I need a counter service.

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 6:30 pm

Yes ,I found that strange when there are 2 closer branches in Hoddesdon and Welwyn.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 12:05 pm

And of course you shouldn't overlook the possibility that should the Bircherley Green Redevelopment planning application be approved then Lloyds Bank will no doubt be the first to be demolished to make way for the Premier Inn. I heard three ladies discussing this is in the bus waiting room a few weeks back and one of them was telling the other two that her daughter was already hoping for a redeployment at another branch close to home. :shock:

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 8:09 am

How annoying.

The banks closing their branches causes a big problem for businesses when they need to bank their takings or obtain change. A small shop in Hertford cannot take the time away from their business to drive to Harlow to use their counter services. In addition, I think the Harlow shop is in the pedestrian bit so it is a security risk (and very heavy) to be carrying the money that far.

This doesn't directly affect me (although the household account is with Halifax) but my Other Half has a business in a nearby town and his business bank have done the same and he has to switch banks because of it.

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Wed 12 Apr, 2017 6:24 pm

leo densian wrote:
Looks like they will be losing my account then as I ain't going to Harlow every time I need a counter service.
Job done this morning, albeit with some sadness. I think it's appalling that a major building society/bank cannot have a presence in a county town and told the very nice lady who dealt with me as much.

Apparently the counter service is '26% quieter' than a year ago reading the company closure justification - maybe bombarding customers like myself with invitations to change a passbook account to a card account for many years has had a hand in that.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 12 Apr, 2017 7:17 pm

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/savi ... ng-UK.html

"Only Nationwide Building Society seems committed to keeping its branch network intact.

On Friday, it said: ‘We believe people of all ages like face-to-face contact with our branch teams as well as access to technology which allows customers to come into a branch and speak to an adviser via a screen-based system.’

The society is in the throes of opening a new branch in Glastonbury, Somerset, a town which is currently bankless. If this proves successful, it will consider opening in other bankless towns."

Nationwide declare it's branch network is 'alive and well' as rivals retreat

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/7 ... -gap-rival

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 12 Apr, 2017 7:20 pm

leo densian wrote:I think it's appalling that a major building society/bank cannot have a presence in a county town and told the very nice lady who dealt with me as much.
The Halifax hasn't been a Building Society for 20 years.

commentator

Post by commentator » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 5:31 pm

Sad day for Hertford

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 11:26 am

Its not just yet another retail space that will become empty and possibly not filled but its another cashpoint closing down!