LED Streetlamps

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Steve
Project Leader
LED Streetlamps

Post by Steve » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 4:01 am

I see that LED streetlamps are now being fitted in sidestreets as well as main roads.

The only problem I have with these lights is that they are so "cold". The ones being rolled out seem to have a colour temperature of around 5K (approx daylight) and look very blue.

Kateg28

Re: LED Streetlamps

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 9:51 am

But at least they should be more reliable.

If you walk up Bramfield Road past the cemetery and next to parkland, there are often street lights out and it makes it very dark and can be a little scary. I would rather have the cold light than no light.

And aren't they meant to be more energy efficient?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 5:43 pm

Kateg28 wrote:And aren't they meant to be more energy efficient?
Yes, a lot more efficient. The units last a lot longer and are a fraction of the cost to run. Plus, they're very directional which means less light pollution.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 5:44 am

Steve wrote:
Yes, a lot more efficient. The units last a lot longer and are a fraction of the cost to run. Plus, they're very directional which means less light pollution.

So does that mean that the street lights are going to be on all night?

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 9:50 am

Joe wrote:
Steve wrote:

So does that mean that the street lights are going to be on all night?
On the Bramfield Road, I would hope so....

On residential roads I do prefer them off but before I moved to Hertford, I lived the other side of Ware, deep in the countryside, couldn't even see another house let alone a streetlamp so I do like the darkness, it even seems quieter somehow.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 1:24 am

I have to deliver to houses at night and it can be quite dangerous at night in the darkness with no street lamps. Also it is more likely that people will be attacked.

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed 16 Mar, 2016 1:40 pm

Robbo wrote:I have to deliver to houses at night and it can be quite dangerous at night in the darkness with no street lamps. Also it is more likely that people will be attacked.
Hmm, around here I'd be more concerned about not being able to read house numbers/names than being attacked...