GP Surgery in Hertford Recommendation?

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Drama Queen
GP Surgery in Hertford Recommendation?

Post by Drama Queen » Wed 06 Jan, 2016 5:03 pm

Dear Forum contributors

I will shortly need to change my GP in Hertford and wonder if any of you have any thoughts about Castle Gate Practice? This is a huge move for me but one I feel I have been forced into due to GP's leaving and the practice I am currently in not up to what was its previous high standards. Any sensible criticisms taken on board. thanks

Darcy Sarto

Re: GP Surgery in Hertford Recommendation?

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 06 Jan, 2016 5:19 pm

Spill the beans - who are your existing "providers"? (be cryptic if you like).... ;)

Footfruit

Post by Footfruit » Thu 07 Jan, 2016 12:14 pm

Both my wife and I are registered with Castlegate Surgery and have been with them for about 8 years. We both (unfortunately!) have cause to visit them occasionally. I have found it to be a pleasant, modern practice, its doctors and nurses friendly and approachable and advice/treatment sound. Inevitably the surgery is busy but I have always been able to get through on the phone, though sometimes after a bit of a wait. I haven't had a problem with getting an emergency appointment as long as I have called first thing. Routine appointments will take a little longer, and can (but not always) take 1-2 weeks especially if you want to see your own doctor rather than the next doctor available. Early morning and evening appointments (particularly useful!) are available. If you need to speak to a doctor urgently but don't necessarily need to visit, there is a "phone list" and in my experience I have been phoned back either same day or the day after. They run a very efficient free flu jab service in the autumn. Recently they have a had a a new computer system installed, affecting for about a 4-6 weeks most aspects of the practice. However, they responded well to the inevitable glitches and re-orientation to this, and as far as | can see they have now emerged out the other side better for it.
So in summary I find them not absolutely outstanding, but good enough and have had no cause to seek practices new so far.
Hope that helps.

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Thu 07 Jan, 2016 6:01 pm

Thank you for the recommendation. NO I won't be saying which surgery I am currently at because this is not what I asked, thank you so very much for the helpful and very comprehensive advice. I think my questions have been answered. :D

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Fri 08 Jan, 2016 8:13 pm

I've been at Castlegate since I moved here 18 years ago.
They are pretty good, doctors come and go, some better than others.
Very pleasant people.
Parking looks like it could be difficult (I always walk)

My only real complaint would be the difficulty in getting an appointment for something that isn't an emergency - but I suppose that's the result of it being a popular surgery.

At the end of the day - I'm still alive !

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 9:51 am

Drama Queen wrote:Thank you for the recommendation. NO I won't be saying which surgery I am currently at because this is not what I asked, thank you so very much for the helpful and very comprehensive advice. I think my questions have been answered. :D
Whilst tempted to respect your sensibilities in this regard you appear happy to take positive advice from others but are unwilling to reciprocate with with equally useful guidance for others about surgeries which you would not recommend. One way traffic? ;)

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 11:55 am

Dear Darcy Sarto

I started the thread - asking for thoughts on a surgery I feel would suit me going forward. I did not make this a witch hunt. I wanted to know if my thoughts and what I had found out on their own website matched up. I don't feel the need to diss any other surgeries and my own one is in complete disarray so probably we're all voting with our feet. If people like their surgeries fine, I do not and as I have been with mine since before birth its a big step to move... Some I hear are not taking on any more patients at the moment either. So sadly I will not rubbish surgeries without any cause or experience, but feel free to rubbish yours if you must.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 5:18 pm

I just thought it might save us both the time and wasted effort of me recommending the surgery you've already decided to leave. Never mind eh!

TupennyRush

Post by TupennyRush » Sat 30 Jan, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi. I was with Castlegate from 2006 until 2013; I spent 6.5 years getting steadily more ill while being told that there was nothing wrong with me or even worse that one of my symptoms (weight gain) was causing all of my symptoms. I moved to Hanscombe House in 2013 and was diagnosed with a common (and treatable) condition within 5 minutes of my first appointment there. Yes I have the version of the condition that only appears in about 1% of cases but I repeatedly told the Drs at Castlegate that this condition runs in my family and was repeatedly told by various doctors at Castlegate that I didn't have the condition

One of the problems with them trying to diagnose my illness was that the Drs at Castlegate state that you can only discuss a single symptom at an appointment; the symptoms for my condition are many and varied so need to be viewed as a whole. At Hanscombe House I was asked to list all of my symptoms at my first appointment and was told that I had a textbook presentation of my condition. The next question was whether anyone in my family had the same condition and when I listed the 6 cases in the immediate family that sort of sealed the deal.

While I was with Castlegate I regularly had to wait 3 weeks for a routine appointment and in one case had to wait 5 weeks for an appointment. I saw various doctors at Castlegate and the only one that I can recommend was Dr Baldock (not sure if she's still there); the other good one, Dr Greaterex has left (I think). However because Dr B is good you will have to wait an inordinate amount of time for an appointment. If you're female I'd strongly recommend avoiding Dr Pratt if you do move to Castlegate.

Whenever I had an appointment the aim of the Dr at Castlegate appeared to be to write a prescription and get me out of the door as quickly as possible.

So, I'd not recommend Castlegate but I would highly recommend Hanscombe House. I can generally get a routine appointment within a week and have been offered cancellations on the day that I've phone for an appointment on occasion. The Drs treat you like an intelligent human being and involve you in decisions about your treatment rather than just assuming that you're an idiot who lies about the severity of symptoms. The failure to diagnose has had a long term affect on my health because as it wasn't treated this has caused damage to other systems. Hope that helps and good luck

gemipicorn

Post by gemipicorn » Sat 30 Jan, 2016 9:27 pm

I also would recommend Hanscombe House. I have been with them all my life (50+ years) and would never change, they are a fantastic surgery!