leaky tap

Requests and recommendations for local crafts and tradesmen
carlos fandango
leaky tap

Post by carlos fandango » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 4:11 pm

Hello all, been a while....hope all the old faces are still well.

I have a leaky outdoor tap that needs fixing. Anyone know a half decent plumber who wont charge the earth?

Thanks,

carlos F.

Fiona124

Re: leaky tap

Post by Fiona124 » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 6:37 pm

Hi Carlos

I had an outside tap put in last year by a plumber that's just moved to the area.

Manuel Rey
Rey Plumbing
07707 233126

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 11:52 am

Where is it leaking from? Is it just dripping?

If so, turn the water off at the pipe (just a quick turn with a screwdriver), unscrew the tap with a pair of mole grips or similar and remove the small rubber washer.

Take it to the plumbing shop in Hertford town centre for reference and buy a new one for just a couple of pounds (if that).

Fit the new washer, screw the tap back on and turn on the water.

I've had a few go over the years. It was always the washer.

gregb

Post by gregb » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 12:14 pm

Wayne - 07774 635 122

Perfect man for these types of jobs.

carlos fandango

Post by carlos fandango » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 1:10 pm

Think my wife would die laughing if I tried that. Though it is tempting. :lol:

Thanks for the number gregb.

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 1:54 pm

Honestly, Carlos. If the problem is just a dripping tap it is usually just the washer/seal.

The valvel to turn off water to the tap is usually just inside thr property. It has a screwdriver head on it. Just turn it until it stops turning. Test the tap by turning it on and if now ater comes out you've cut the water. Then just do the rest..........remove the tiny rubber washer/seal, but a new one and put it in and then do up the tape and turn the water back on.

the washer/seal will probably not look worn. they just perish after time little enough to let the drips through.

PLUS.........your wife will be impressed.

If you call someone out they will probably only replace the washer/seal anyway. So save the plumber fee and take Mrs Fandango out for a meal with the money you've saved. :D

Hertford Born & Bred

Post by Hertford Born & Bred » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 9:19 pm

If its been dripping for a while the seating that the washer sits on will be scoured. Dont bother with washers and tap reseating tools just unscrew and replace the whole tap (they are only a couple of quid now days). As Ewoowar said it is quite easy once the water is off.

Any problems give us a shout on here. HB&B

carlos fandango

Post by carlos fandango » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 4:55 pm

I switched the valve off to the tap a while ago as it was getting pretty bad.

You know when you've been married too long when you'd rather pay a plumber than take the wife out on the proceeds :lol:

mdja

Post by mdja » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 3:16 pm

Ewoowar wrote:Take it to the plumbing shop in Hertford town centre for reference and buy a new one for just a couple of pounds (if that).
Where is this plumbing shop? Every now and then I need something plumbing related and end up in e.g. Wickes or looking at the closed sign outside Botsfords... Somehow never noticed a plumbing shop?

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 4:45 pm

mdja wrote:
Ewoowar wrote:Take it to the plumbing shop in Hertford town centre for reference and buy a new one for just a couple of pounds (if that).
Where is this plumbing shop? Every now and then I need something plumbing related and end up in e.g. Wickes or looking at the closed sign outside Botsfords... Somehow never noticed a plumbing shop?
Bull Plain. If they don't stock what you need they will point you in the right direction. Plus they've always been helpful with advice.

I avoid Wickes if I can. I recall spending about ten minutes wandering the aisles looking for something with no staff available to help and queues at the tills about half a dozen long. Then over the tannoy they played U2 singing 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'.