Phones 4U

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Steve
Project Leader
Phones 4U

Post by Steve » Mon 02 Dec, 2013 12:59 am

With the closure of Claire's Accessories, a planning application has going in for Phones 4U signage

http://online.eastherts.gov.uk/swiftlg/ ... 13/2082/AD

spitfire

Re: Phones 4U

Post by spitfire » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 10:16 am

Hope they get enough business to survive. Most people i know change phones etc online.

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 6:21 pm

We will have moe phone shops than hairdressers soon....

City Fella

Post by City Fella » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 10:05 pm

Frenchie wrote:We will have moe phone shops than hairdressers soon....
Ah but still lagging behind the coffee shop count though!

Capitalist Piglet

Post by Capitalist Piglet » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 11:45 pm

Spitfire is right. Phone shops are probably toast now with online & SIM only deals, so I have grave fears for thy he ones we have. One will survive if only for people to view & then hit the web. (& Spitfire a beer in Hertford is long overdue) And that I think is my perfect 10.....

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Thu 05 Dec, 2013 12:05 pm

spitfire wrote:Hope they get enough business to survive. Most people i know change phones etc online.
Indeed - especially as outfits like Carphone Warehouse are doing better deals online than in-store

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Thu 05 Dec, 2013 1:21 pm

Thought for the day...

Eventually, I suspect, the high streets will only be populated by shops with stuff we can't or don't want to buy on the interweb (e.g. haircuts, coffee, bacon sandwiches, posh delicatessen stuff, some groceries, kebabs (MMMMNNNNhhhhmmm!!) etc.).

Clearly mobile 'phones no longer fall in to this category although we might want "showrooms" where we can go an touch/feel things before we trot off home and order from Amazebay or whoever. John Lewis remains a massive high street presence (never in Hertford more's the pity) but is also a big player in internet shopping.

I think when local planners/landlords accept this and proper adjustment is made we could create something interesting and vibrant with local character (no I won't go to Starbucks).

Leo - love the headphones!

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Thu 05 Dec, 2013 1:24 pm

Darcy Sarto wrote: Leo - love the headphones!
Movember is over now btw

jackanapes

Post by jackanapes » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 5:25 pm

Not sure that the mobile phone shop business is toast, certainly not for the big boys and the Networks. For CPW and P4U you can get just as good (if not better) deals in shops as you can online plus you get to walk off with the latest bit of tech right then right and there. For the Networks I guess the shops are not just a revenue driver but also part of marketing. The profits on £40pm 2 year contracts are such that you only really need a few sign ups per week per shop to cover your costs.

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 8:38 pm

jackanapes wrote: For CPW and P4U you can get just as good (if not better) deals in shops as you can online plus you get to walk off with the latest bit of tech right then right and there.
Not in my experience. My phone is £4 per month cheaper through CPW website than in-store. The store were not allowed to match the price. As I would be unlikely to be at home to sign for it I had it delivered to the shop and collected from there. Pretty crazy really.