Three cheers for Mark Prisk

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Steve
Project Leader
Re: Three cheers for Mark Prisk

Post by Steve » Sat 08 Jul, 2017 9:53 pm

JohnSmith wrote:Out of interest, can anyone give an example of something that Mark Prisk has done for the people of Hertford in the 16 years that he has been our MP?

I'm talking about anything where it was a lost cause and he has intervened and turned it around or actively campaigned for something that wouldn't have happened without his input.
Don't you think you're being unreasonable there?

Firstly, you ask if he's done anything for the people of Hertford and then you suggest that the only legitimate example is where he has turned something around. Or to put it another way, you're dismissing any support he's given to any group or campaign in 16 years - or any weight he may have added.

Mark Prisk has been a strong advocate for rail travellers and has met TOCs and ministers to echo travellers' frustration at local services. He's also been a strong supporter of the anti quarry group in Bengeo, writing to the EA challenging their inadequate response to threats to the water supply. He has also written to ministers with similar concerns. These are just two examples of what our MP has done for the people of Hertford. But judging from your question, this probably doesn't qualify as doing something for his constituents.

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 4:31 pm

I think that sloopjohnb has got it just about right with regards to the lack of opposition giving the impression that the people who live here are relatively content with how things are. And SJB also gave an actual example of Mr Prisk's input that helped a situation.

Taking a look at Mark Prisk's website I feel that he is good at telling us what a great job he is doing but there isn't really that much he has been asked to do.

However, I would challenge what he has achieved with regards to rail travel. I don't see any difference today than 16 years ago. All he has done is had a moan at the successive TOCs but we still have the same old rolling stock with the same issues. His input has been no more than the rest of us who use the service on a daily basis and complain to the TOCs but get nowhere with it. As his party leader keeps telling us "nothing has changed, nothing has changed."

codek2

Post by codek2 » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 5:34 pm

new rolling stock rolls out next year, so that argument is irrelevant. one things for sure though, there are now more services than there were 16 years ago.

Although to be fair the age of the rolling stock doesn't really have any relevance, it's the lack of maintenance that harms reliability that is the issue, and that will be true on the new stuff too.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 6:50 pm

codek2 wrote:.. the age of the rolling stock doesn't really have any relevance ...
I would beg to differ. As someone who has ridden on the 317 class stock (1981-7) operating on the HFE line, and the 379 class stock (2010-11) operating on the Stansted Express route, I can tell you that the latter is a lot quieter and smoother, and I dare say more efficient.

The new trains are actually coming in 2019/20.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/form/tr ... new-trains

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 11:34 pm

If we're going to bring up Mark Prisk being the commuter's friend, maybe we should look at his voting record in parliament. He CONSISTENTLY voted against slowing the rise in rail fares.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11172 ... olicy=6692

And he also voted against the railways being brought back into public ownership.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11172 ... olicy=6746

Not sure about you, but that looks to me like he wants to make sure that his constituents who commute into London pay unregulated higher fares to privately operated TOCs who he wants to retain their franchises. Why would he want to do that?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 10 Jul, 2017 3:09 am

JohnSmith wrote:Not sure about you, but that looks to me like he wants to make sure that his constituents who commute into London pay unregulated higher fares to privately operated TOCs who he wants to retain their franchises. Why would he want to do that?
Because he was whipped

Useful link:
Blame party whips, not politicians, for our failing politics
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/let ... 30896.html

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 11 Jul, 2017 9:00 am

I know of something where Mark Prisk was personally involved but it was about a footpath so not big news. He attended a small parish meeting with the councillor (the awesome Roger Beeching) and helped get it done. There was only a few people there, about 20 and he was very charismatic and very good at his job. That is the only time I have met him but I was impressed with the person and the fact he got it done.

Roger Beeching also personally intervened in an issue with a village bus and got that done too.

Sometimes the hate against MP's (of any political party) irritates me.