Red Kite in Hornsmill

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
newcomer
Red Kite in Hornsmill

Post by newcomer » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 3:43 pm

There was a Red Kite (the bird!) circling above Hornsmill playground on Saturday. Quite a sight. I see from wikipedia that you do get them in Hertfordshire.

Toady

Re: Red Kite in Hornsmill

Post by Toady » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 9:43 pm

Majestic birds, aren't they? We often see him (or her) circling over the field behind our house in Mandeville Road, just up the road from your sighting. I gather the nearest reported breeding pair are based at Knebworth. They have gradually spread their wings, so to speak, since the species were reintroduced in the Chilterns in the 90s. They have no natural predators so are top of the food chain.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 7:28 am

We see them along the old coach road / panshanger park daily! There's usually a couple of them.
There's also a buzzard around, and in panshanger a hobby has been sighted too (although i've not seen that one)

If you're ever over in oxfordshire they're as common as crows! I've read that people feed them too (with meat!) Not tried that one.

Golden

Post by Golden » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 12:26 pm

There are quite a few around and there were even reports of an Osprey at the lake in Panshanger Park a few years ago - I think its great to see them even though when working around Maidenhaead area a few years ago it was a bit unnerving to have them circling above me.

If you want to be a saddo (like me according to my wife) there's this page that updates unusual bird sightings in Herts every day.

http://www.hnhs.org/birds/