Changes to Recycling

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Marilyn
Re: Changes to Recycling

Post by Marilyn » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 5:07 pm

Kateg28 wrote:I am so dutiful that my son and partner like to watch. I even sift through our living room bin as they insist on putting cans and plastic bottles in it despite me telling them, forcefully. Even monkeys learn but not apparently these two!

Anyhow, I remove the plastic from food trays and wash the trays, I take lids off milk cartons, I put my food waste in a brown paper bag, I am a good citizen!

I recycle plastic bags by using them for other tasks around the house, usually my partner's packed lunch.

And, as an aside, my partner runs a business and pays for his waste to be taken away in one of those small commercial skips. He also pays for his cardboard to be recycled. The cardboard colelction is more expensive by volume than the rubbish collection and it would make commercial sense for him not to bother (Luckily he does).

Where is the incentive there?
Exactly what we do which is why the sticker was so annoying.

Then to add to it I went to Westmill Monday morning with some stuff that won't go in the bins, takes quite a lot for me to pluck up courage to go up there, only to be turned away as they were "not taking any metals today" ! Make you see why people fly tip!

Footfruit

Re: Changes to Recycling

Post by Footfruit » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 1:42 pm

We had a "Dear Resident" letter shoved through our letterbox from Waste & Recycling dept. confirming the changes (not a leaflet). It stated clearly what the changes were, and why. We duly ripped the plastic address window out of the envelope and put the letter and envelope, minus plastic window, into the paper tray of our blue bin, and the plastic window into our black bin :lol:

Seriously, the letter we received was reasonably specific so why, why, why can't a similarly specific list be posted on the website? The web site really should hold the definitive reference, and should be kept up to date.