Bircherley Green

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Ellensdottir
Re: Bircherley Green

Post by Ellensdottir » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 1:24 pm

Have we any further information on what is happening to Bircherly Green? Last rumour I heard was that there is now no longer going to be an hotel, but rumour does not say what will be in it’s place. Also I have wondered why they closed the multi story car park so promptly when I think it is still there? Has anybody any news on what is going on, and going to go on?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 1:39 pm

Ellensdottir wrote:
Fri 12 Apr, 2019 1:24 pm
Have we any further information on what is happening to Bircherly Green? Last rumour I heard was that there is now no longer going to be an hotel, but rumour does not say what will be in it’s place. Also I have wondered why they closed the multi story car park so promptly when I think it is still there? Has anybody any news on what is going on, and going to go on?
As far as I'm aware, Wrenbridge are contractually obliged to deliver the hotel. Unfortunately when there's an information vacuum, idle gossip will always will it.

My guess about the car park would be security and/or insurance.

Unfortunately, whilst we are "between councils" there will be to Development Management meetings until mid-May at the earliest.

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 7:11 am

I find yesterday’s announcement of a withdrawal of the planning application by Wrenbridge a sad testament of profit being more important than community. Saying “The scheme we had designed, and hoped to be building by now, was created for a 2016 market and is no longer fit for purpose in 2019, in the face of a depressed retail sector and subdued housing market” shows a total lack of capability to plan or read the signs that were very clear in 2016 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/peo ... erience-a/ Reports at that time were very clear to both developers and planning authorities but now, here we are in 2019 with buildings gathering dust and being left to fall apart, an undeveloped building site, and an unusable car park. Some might say that we have been let down by the policies of the current government (for whom I voted) and LAs to enforce a planning policy of building more housing at all costs whilst ignoring communities, not providing improved infrastructure, or appropriate policing to address the problems being created (crime stats 2,114 in 2013/14 and 3,052 in 2018/19). Or is it the climate of maximisation of profit by developers and others involved? Me, I blame them all and see little or no future for Hertford other than as a dormitory town for London – a truly sad day.

greeners

Post by greeners » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 1:13 pm

Surely now is the time to get the car park open and start getting tennants back into the shops, even if its short term / rent free lets ??

codek2

Post by codek2 » Wed 19 Jun, 2019 12:40 pm

well given this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48687824

It doesnt look like permier inn will be around much longer, so i doubt they'll ever open the hertford one. thats *if* they even build it.

Obviously they could let it to another hotel!

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 12:55 pm

East Herts have posted a FAQ

codek2

Post by codek2 » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 3:52 pm

wow, how useless is that. basically, we can't be arsed.

Blatantly shows it took them over 6 months to make a decision on a planning application.

There's been a lot of "oh there's a lot going on behind the scenes" but there's very little evidence of any of that.

I do get it's not their fault entirely, but they have exasperated the situation.

Toady

Post by Toady » Sat 06 Jul, 2019 9:26 pm

I won't attempt to offer a view on the "he said - she said.." that will undoubtedly play out as developer and authority seek to explain their actions and protect their good names. But this is a sorry place to have ended up; the town deprived of a good chunk of its commercial footprint at a time of economic uncertainty and further headwinds to come. And a clear message to other investors that Hertford is not open for business. Very, very sad.

HertfordEastEnd

Post by HertfordEastEnd » Thu 15 Aug, 2019 9:44 pm

I was in one of the pubs in town earlier this week, and at the table next to me two gentlemen were talking (sober by the way!). One of them said to the other that Boots and Waitrose were both moving back into their premises. That sounds highly unlikely to me, however I wondered if anyone else has heard rumours like this?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 2:29 am

HertfordEastEnd wrote:
Thu 15 Aug, 2019 9:44 pm
I was in one of the pubs in town earlier this week, and at the table next to me two gentlemen were talking (sober by the way!). One of them said to the other that Boots and Waitrose were both moving back into their premises. That sounds highly unlikely to me, however I wondered if anyone else has heard rumours like this?
Obviously nonsense. Worrying that people are so gullible (them, not you).