Waitrose Moving to Van Hage

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Andrew
Re: Waitrose rumour

Post by Andrew » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 6:05 pm

leo densian wrote:If true, its not the first time

http://www.notcutts-waitrose-bagshot.info/
Nothing at that link -
"Web Server's Default Page

This page is generated by Parallels Plesk Panel, the leading hosting automation software. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address.
You can do the following:
Create domains and set up Web hosting using Parallels Plesk Panel."

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 6:17 pm

codek2 wrote:can't really see why they would need to expand. its never that busy in there
Are you serious?

robbiebgg

Post by robbiebgg » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 7:09 pm

On the basis that Waitrose are opening outlets at places like Motorway Service stations (I am sure they have one at South Mimms), then it makes sense to have a concession at a place such as Van Hages which seems to get busier and busier.

Louis M

Post by Louis M » Mon 13 Jan, 2014 10:01 am

robbiebgg wrote:On the basis that Waitrose are opening outlets at places like Motorway Service stations (I am sure they have one at South Mimms), then it makes sense to have a concession at a place such as Van Hages which seems to get busier and busier.
They have suffered during the recession and their Peterborough site has been a massive financial drain on them. They have a large footfall however turning that into sales is another story as people find them expensive.
Anything like this to help them would be welcomed as I would hate to see them go.

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Mon 13 Jan, 2014 11:16 am

Andrew wrote:
leo densian wrote:If true, its not the first time

http://www.notcutts-waitrose-bagshot.info/
Nothing at that link -
"Web Server's Default Page

This page is generated by Parallels Plesk Panel, the leading hosting automation software. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address.
You can do the following:
Create domains and set up Web hosting using Parallels Plesk Panel."
Strange. Try this one:

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-n ... ot-4868412

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 13 Jan, 2014 4:40 pm

if they did build a concession at VH, why would they close the hertford one? They're far enough apart to attract different people are they not?

If they were clever they could even see about advertising he VH one from the A10 and try and capture some of the A10 "services" traffic

James007

Post by James007 » Mon 13 Jan, 2014 5:27 pm

Because Van Hage is already operating as a retail supermarket and has been for years.

Louis M

Post by Louis M » Mon 13 Jan, 2014 5:48 pm

I do not believe that the aim is to have a concession at Van Hage. From what I have been told, Waitrose tried for both the Sainsbury’s site and the Asda site with a view to build a larger store.
Waitrose Hertford cannot expand any further and Van Hage has large areas of wasted space. If this goes through then I would imagine that Waitrose would either shut in Hertford or be re-jiggled to make it a much smaller store (maybe split into 2 units).

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 13 Jan, 2014 6:38 pm

Louis M wrote:I would imagine that Waitrose would either shut in Hertford or be re-jiggled to make it a much smaller store (maybe split into 2 units).
A good example of how rumours start. People post conjecture that even they admit is a product of their imagination and then other people pass that on without mentioning that it's fabricated.

Louis M

Post by Louis M » Mon 13 Jan, 2014 10:50 pm

Steve wrote:
Louis M wrote:I would imagine that Waitrose would either shut in Hertford or be re-jiggled to make it a much smaller store (maybe split into 2 units).
A good example of how rumours start. People post conjecture that even they admit is a product of their imagination and then other people pass that on without mentioning that it's fabricated.
This was suggested by 3 Waitrose employees, 2 of whom I drink with.