Bircherley Green Redevelopment 2016

News and views on shopping in the county town.
monkeyman1974
Re: Bircherley Green Redevelopment 2016

Post by monkeyman1974 » Sat 19 Nov, 2016 8:16 am

comments are requested back by end of November

'C' store would be useful - presumably a COOP.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sun 20 Nov, 2016 4:16 am

The Bircherley Green Regeneration website has now been updated with the latest plans

http://www.bircherleygreenregeneration.com/

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 5:20 pm

A PDF of the plans is now available

http://www.hertford.net/bircherley-green.pdf

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 2:57 pm

Couldn't honestly say that this is about Hertford but latest tweet from Wrenbridge:
Wrenbridge ‏@Wrenbridge Dec 2
Hopefully still time for 2 planning applications to go in before Christmas. An offer in today and another on Monday on new projects.

I understand that there is still a bit of work to do on the Hertford application or it may have been resolved by now. Whatever. As always the situation regarding Bircherley Green and all who sail in her is as clear as the weather was this morning. :? :?:

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 12:30 pm

I have this compulsion to check on Wrenbridge. According to their latest Twitter feed today (sorry I do not tweet) planning application for Bircherley Green should go in later this month. This might be as early as next week but on the evidence of the past two years do not hold your breath.

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 1:23 pm

I've just looked at the plans again, using the link above.

I notice they are using a lot of timber to hide uninspiring brickwork. The only problem with that is that the timber looks grotty after a year or two unless its treated very regularly. Take a walk down by the new flats at Hertford East to see the mottled grey wood which looks distinctly unloved. That wont be a good looking riverside long term

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 3:18 pm

I am not giving you any hope newgirl but at the River Room meeting the architects did acknowledge that the plans have been changed quite a few times to meet the demands of interested parties (who shall remain anonymous). I do know that before the meeting at the Hertford Club there were also several slightly different versions of the plans on certain people's computers.

In the version that popped through my letterbox there is mention of a boutique cinema (my words) but this is said to be not viable. There was also talk of a NHS walk-in centre but this did not appear on those plans, but was mentioned at the River Rooms and a voice in front of me (couldn't see the face) said he would move heaven and earth to help to get this through, but Wrenbridge thought that time had run out for the NHS.

These and other complications from the consultation process may have held up the planning application being submitted. There may be other factors not known to even me. I know that many people were not happy with the wooden palisade around the car park so that too may have been amended. However in the original 2014 plans the car park did not exist and the current plans do not make as many serious alterations to the look of Bircherley Green. It seems to be that very English thing - a workable compromise.

Anyway I think we can all have a very good chinwag once the application goes in.

wardclan

Post by wardclan » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 6:37 pm

Hardwood is meant to turn silver/grey and not to be treated ;)

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 8:38 pm

wardclan wrote:Hardwood is meant to turn silver/grey and not to be treated ;)
You only have to look at The Waterfront in Mill Road and Elder Court in Mead Lane to see how badly timber cladding can weather.

Useful link:
http://www.building.co.uk/knotty-proble ... 36.article

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 11:31 am

I know its does turn grey but that's not to say it looks good when it turns grey. Have a look at the flats opposite Hertford East where some of the cladding is not grey and some black. It looks very shabby and uncared for