67%
No
33%

Total votes: 18

Steve
Project Leader
Should Parking Be Subsidised?

Post by Steve » Wed 21 May, 2014 1:39 am

The District Council have a policy of ensuring that motorists cover the costs of providing car parks in the town.

Over the years this has led to increasing charges to use car parks and proposals to introduce Sunday and evening charges, as well as charging for on-street parking (ie parking meters).

Many have argued that this damages the local economy.

Given that other services, such as public transport, are subsidised, and that East Herts has one of the highest levels of car ownership in the country, should the District Council be helping businesses and the community by contributing to the cost of running car parks with local taxpayers money?

Golden

Re: Should Parking Be Subsidised

Post by Golden » Wed 21 May, 2014 8:09 am

I live not far from the Old London Road car park and regularly walk past - I have mentioned this on numerous occasions!! It annoys me to see a half empty (all empty at weekends) car park when there are people parking on the grass verges down my road. The situation is only going to get worse with the number of flats that are being built around the east station with very little parking provided. Developers don't provide parking because they want a 'sustainable' development - when in reality providing parking is an avoidable cost that can help increase their profits increasing the burden on the local roads/taxpayer.

MultiDad

Re: Should Parking Be Subsidised

Post by MultiDad » Wed 21 May, 2014 9:27 am

No. simple as that...

whenever I hear the word 'subsidy' I want to scream. If someone pays less than the full price for something, then somebody else (usually taxpayers like me) have to pay the difference.

Joby

Re: Should Parking Be Subsidised?

Post by Joby » Wed 21 May, 2014 11:51 am

No. Services should be paid for by those that use them.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 21 May, 2014 12:40 pm

One suspects, MultiDad, that its not the word "subsidy" that causes your ire but who is getting the subsidy. I really don't mind (and actively support) some subsidies - for pensioners, disabled, children etc.

Really not sure about parking for all though. Perhaps we could limit it to only vehicles that aren't 4X4's or BMW's (based entirely, as explained in another thread, on lack of knowledge and prejudice...) ;) .

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 21 May, 2014 12:44 pm

Joby - would that include health services?

Golden

Post by Golden » Wed 21 May, 2014 12:48 pm

Fire, ambulance, police, coastguard, NHS, post, schools, universities, street lighting, roads, etc. etc.

You are very naive if you think that you pay for all the 'services' you receive. If I didn't go out at night should I save my proportion of costs that go on nighttime policing and resultant NHS costs, etc. - should only those people that are arrested pay for nighttime policing? I can walk to most Hertford shops so why should I pay a premium on the prices at Tesco, Wickes, etc. to provide parking for those that drive there every time - I want my 'no-parking' reductions!! There are lots of things we pay for but don't use and vice-versa. The argument for nighttime parking charges in my opinion is really about whether we want to live in a town with a decent economy that can provide jobs and good facilities for locals and visitors - and whether charging would have any effect.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 21 May, 2014 12:55 pm

Golden wrote:Fire, ambulance, police, coastguard, NHS, post, schools, universities, street lighting, roads, etc. etc.

You are very naive if you think that you pay for all the 'services' you receive. If I didn't go out at night should I save my proportion of costs that go on nighttime policing and resultant NHS costs, etc. - should only those people that are arrested pay for nighttime policing? I can walk to most Hertford shops so why should I pay a premium on the prices at Tesco, Wickes, etc. to provide parking for those that drive there every time - I want my 'no-parking' reductions!! There are lots of things we pay for but don't use and vice-versa. The argument for nighttime parking charges in my opinion is really about whether we want to live in a town with a decent economy that can provide jobs and good facilities for locals and visitors - and whether charging would have any effect.
Well said Golden - (even though you drive a BMW you are clearly the exception that proves the rule).

I tend to find that those who despise subsidy and "welfare" provision also subscribe to the phrase "you get what you pay for!". So - if you don't pay for services (up front with the rest of us) you won't get them when you need them......

MultiDad

Post by MultiDad » Wed 21 May, 2014 1:08 pm

difference here is between service and subsidy.... the police, nhs, roads, schools and similar to which any decent person would happily pay their fair share are services.

subsidies such as paying for someones parking (bringing it down by a few pence and thereby creating another bureaucratic role at the heavily overstaffed coucil) is not the same thing. :)

Joby

Post by Joby » Wed 21 May, 2014 1:33 pm

Darcy Sarto wrote:Joby - would that include health services?
Of course not, and I'm sure you'll agree that there is a world of difference between a car park and, say, the fire service or a GP. There are a group of essential services that all use, or all have potential to need to use, that are tax-payer funded - police, fire, health etc. A car park doesn't even come close to that level of importance. Same reason I don't support re-nationalising railways, as I don't think it's fair for non-train travellers to subsidise rail travel.