Market Street

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Darcy Sarto
Market Street

Post by Darcy Sarto » Mon 12 May, 2014 12:37 pm

Notice they are painting doble yellow lines and "no loading" lines of the kerb on both sides of Market Street today.

Can't imagine it'll make a lot of difference - I've never really had a problem with this road being blocked by dodgy parkers but I suppose the continued proliferation of selfish BMW/4X4 road hogs (who never seem aware of what is going on around them) might necesssitate this action?

Golden

Re: Market Street

Post by Golden » Mon 12 May, 2014 1:08 pm

Darcy I'm fairly certain that there has always been double yellows here - although as you point out it would be foolish in the extreme to park in a road that narrow. I've seen quite a few in the loading bay with parking tickets before - often catches people out on weekend nights and probably will even more with the imminent nightime parking charges.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Tue 13 May, 2014 10:12 am

Darcy Sarto wrote:Notice they are painting doble yellow lines and "no loading" lines of the kerb on both sides of Market Street today.

Can't imagine it'll make a lot of difference - I've never really had a problem with this road being blocked by dodgy parkers but I suppose the continued proliferation of selfish BMW/4X4 road hogs (who never seem aware of what is going on around them) might necesssitate this action?
Bad driving / road hogging / dodgy parking is all to do with the inconsiderate attitude of the relevant driver and in my experience there are plenty of these who drive vehicles other than BMW/4X4's. Perhaps it's just not so noticeable. :lol:

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 13 May, 2014 10:31 am

I drive a BMW and resent the implication that I am inconsiderate. My Partner and I go out of our way to be considerate irrespective of which of our cars we drive.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Tue 13 May, 2014 6:40 pm

Kateg28 wrote:I drive a BMW and resent the implication that I am inconsiderate. My Partner and I go out of our way to be considerate irrespective of which of our cars we drive.
Your resentment is noted and I have some sympathy. My views are based on experience and a fair amount of prejudice (if that's not an oxymoron).... ;)

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 14 May, 2014 8:40 am

To be fair, the worst road rage I have ever seen was whilst on a bus and was a BMW driver who lost it against the bus driver. Vile and offensive and I even ended up reporting to the police as it was out of order and over the top (BMW was in the wrong and could have solved the entire situation by simple manoeuvre).

However, I am lovely yet I drive one of the big powerful ones (not a 4x4). I am a demon in our skoda though :twisted:

My colleague drives a BMW 4x4 so I have had him shot :D

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Wed 14 May, 2014 10:27 am

Kateg28 wrote:I drive a BMW and resent the implication that I am inconsiderate. My Partner and I go out of our way to be considerate irrespective of which of our cars we drive.
I drive 35k miles a year and every day I see incidents of inconsiderate driving, parking etc. My perception would be that in no way are BMX/4X4 drivers the main culprits.

Blaming it all on the drivers of larger / expensive cars is a form of inverted snobbery - or perhaps jealousy.

Only yesterday, a Ford Focus was parked in Market Street, bumped up onto the pavement. Complete with 'Baby on Board' sticker I might add!!!! :o

carlos fandango

Post by carlos fandango » Wed 14 May, 2014 12:10 pm

As I have almost been maimed twice recently on the Rush Green roundabout (once by a Fiat 500 driving Lady once by a Nissan Micra driving Lady) I would venture that 4x4 drivers are not the problem here. Lack of attentiveness/awareness/intelligence/vision of ones surroundings may be nearer the mark.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 14 May, 2014 11:33 pm

I don't think anyone seriously thinks the choice of car predetermines or engenders good or bad driving technique do they?

Perhaps they do. They must be Saab drivers.... :twisted:

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 15 May, 2014 1:41 am

Darcy Sarto wrote:I don't think anyone seriously thinks the choice of car predetermines or engenders good or bad driving technique do they?

Perhaps they do. They must be Saab drivers.... :twisted:
Or cyclists :twisted: