Welcome To The New Forum

Contributions, adding your business or organisation, suggestions and feedback.

What do you think of the new forum?

Yay
69%
Meh
27%
Ugh
4%

Total votes: 26

admin
Site Admin
Welcome To The New Forum

Post by admin » Sat 09 Nov, 2013 9:49 pm

Welcome to the new Discover Hertford Online Forum.

The original forum was launched on 9th August 2002 and in 13 years welcomed over 1300 members and hosted over 7000 discussions.

As web technology has progressed, the original forum software became outdated and we made the decision to relaunch a new forum using an up-to-date package that allows us to take advantage of ongoing support.

The new forum allows us to offer additional functionality and gives you more control over your account.

The old forum remains online for reference at http://www.hertford.net/yoursay

If you have any questions or find something that's not working as you expect just let us know.
Last edited by Steve on Tue 17 Mar, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surfer Rosa

Re: Welcome To The New Forum

Post by Surfer Rosa » Sun 10 Nov, 2013 12:29 pm

Any chance of a 'like' button? So logged in members could 'like' posts instead of having to make a post that does nothing more than agree or approve?

also, when you reply with quote, could just the very last post show so there's not those enormous blocks of text repeating all the thread with the rows getting narrower and narrower?

Personally I don't like signatures and feel they add nothing to a small forum with active members in the dozens because you just see the same words over and over again.

That's my feedback anyhoo. :) (wanted to do a 'kiss' smiley but there isn't one)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 12:47 pm

Thank you for your feedback.
Surfer Rosa wrote:Any chance of a 'like' button? So logged in members could 'like' posts instead of having to make a post that does nothing more than agree or approve?
I'm afraid this functionality is not available. However, we discourage such posts unless they include comments that add to the discussion.
Surfer Rosa wrote:also, when you reply with quote, could just the very last post show so there's not those enormous blocks of text repeating all the thread with the rows getting narrower and narrower?
I'm afraid that functionality is not available.
Surfer Rosa wrote:Personally I don't like signatures and feel they add nothing to a small forum with active members in the dozens because you just see the same words over and over again.
Sigantures are disabled on the forum

Capitalist Piglet

Post by Capitalist Piglet » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 4:49 pm

Agree with Surfa about reposting, but if its not available its not available. The one thing I noticed was I can't find a way of navigating back to home. I'm sure its staring me in the face bit I recall a navigation bar at the top of the old site. Otherwise easy to use , post stuff etc. Thanks for the chance to road test...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 2:28 am

Capitalist Piglet wrote:Agree with Surfa about reposting, but if its not available its not available. The one thing I noticed was I can't find a way of navigating back to home. I'm sure its staring me in the face bit I recall a navigation bar at the top of the old site. Otherwise easy to use , post stuff etc. Thanks for the chance to road test...
Thanks for the feedback CP. I've modified the header so that clicking on the site ident in the top left-hand corner takes you back to the home page of the main site. This is common practice on many websites.

James007

Post by James007 » Sun 01 Dec, 2013 12:53 pm

Very impressed with the new forum.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun 01 Dec, 2013 12:55 pm

Just wanted to say I am liking the new board.
I was wondering if there is a quick reply option. I looked at my UCP but can't seem to find one :?

Also with regards to Surfer Rosa question on the like button. I know that there is a "Thanks for posts" mod for phpbb that allows user to thank other users for the posts.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... for_posts/

Maybe that would work :D

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Mon 02 Dec, 2013 3:11 pm

In the old forum, I can easy see which discussions had new unread posts when I logged on due to the purple folder. Is there something similar on the new one?
Maybe I haven't been on long enough to see...

I do find it more visually confusing (big block of colour) and less difficult to dinstinguish the sections but maybe I'll get used to it!

No need to say "Get with the program, Grandad!" :D

Damn, I shold have made this into multiple posts so I can start recommending things again. ;)

Sudi

Post by Sudi » Wed 04 Dec, 2013 1:49 pm

lt's taking me a little while to find all the knobs and whistles, but l think the 'new look' is growing on me! ;)

Razor

Post by Razor » Wed 04 Dec, 2013 9:52 pm

ditto to newcomer's comments