Molewood road

Questions and discussions about the town's past
South1
Molewood road

Post by South1 » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi, new to the forum and looking to find as much information on Molewood road and surrounding areas as possible. I'm sure it's been discussed before but if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where, it would be very much appreciated!. Particularly looking for any info and history on the houses that back on to the field and how some of them Come to be so wonky! Why/when how etc. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Marilyn

Re: Molewood road

Post by Marilyn » Tue 13 Oct, 2015 4:06 pm

Depends what exactly you want to know. you could try the facebook photos of hertford site as well as this one. This is some research I did for my exhibitions on the history of Bengeo. Hope to produce a book possibly next year watch this space!

What we now know of as Molewood Road was the track to Molewood Mill.
The road was not made and given the name until about 1880 when Wellington Street and Nelson Street were put in and the allotments that were there were sold for building.
The map of 1897 shows that the right side was developed first.
by 1901 Numbers 4 to 34 had been built along with Nos 46 and 48.
by 1906 The field on the other side was for sale. It was let to Messrs Garratt and sons and Mr Harrington.
There were no houses that side of the road at that date.
by 1911 Quite a few more houses had been built. 2, 2a and 2b and on the other side 7 to 29, 37 and 39.
in 1912 Like the other roads around, most of the houses were owned in blocks and let to various tenants. There were a couple of owner occupiers who also owned and let adjoining properties. Mr Hill at 21, Mrs Brown at 2b.
Amongst the other owners were William Brickwell of Ware Road, Mr Chapman of Old Cross, Arthur Foskett of Parkhurst Road, Albert Wray of Church Road, Mrs Roberts of Duncombe Road, Jane Wray of Fanshawe Street, Mrs Butler of Westcliffe on Sea, George Powell of Hove and George Harris of Ware Road.
From this we can assume that some of the houses were built by the Roberts and Wray family firms.
c1950 A house called “Chevin” was built by the Morley family and give the address of No 1 Church Road. This was quickly changed to Molewood Road.
Opposite “Chevin” Mr Bertram Caple had a coach painting works from 1930s which became Molewood Garage.

South1

Post by South1 » Thu 15 Oct, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks for taking time to reply. I would definitely be interested in the book! I gave joined the Facebook group but not sure if I will have time to go through all them photos. I have recently moved to the road and curious about its history. Especially the few houses in the middle, which appear to lean so much and wondered what had caused them to in the first place. I will have to get to the museum and library and do some research myself. Thanks again.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Sat 17 Oct, 2015 8:58 am

Never investigated the lean but it could be due to foundations close to the rivers flood plain...............we know they were built at different times along the road so some may have better foundations than others?

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 12:04 pm

You may be interested in this? Trying to get everything into an hour is tricky but if you want to know more about the area there is bound to be something you didn't know I have found some wonderful and odd facts!!

http://www.hertford.net/discussion/view ... f=16&t=703