Print Page | Close Window

Flood plains in Hertford and East Herts

Printed from: Discover Hertford Online Forum
Topic URL: http://www.hertford.net/yoursay/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2153
Printed on: 02 Sep 2014

Topic:


Topic author: Dude
Subject: Flood plains in Hertford and East Herts
Posted on: 30 Oct 2006 11:56:34
Message:

Does anyone know of anyway I can obtain information with regards to work carried out on our nearby rivers to reduce the risk of flooding?

I'm particularly interested in any work carried out in Hertford, Stanstead Abbotts, Standon, Buntingford and Braughing.

I know they all have flood plain areas (I used the flood plain viewer on the EA site), but that site does not seem to take into account additional work carried out to lower the risk.

Also, the recent Hertford North incident aside, does anyone have any local knowledge to severe flooding in these areas?

This is what I know so far:

Ware road was flooded a few years back.
Standon had a major flood around 1988.
Buntingford suffers from flooding, but the Rib is now drying up?
Millers lane in Stanstead Abbotts flooded in the mid 90s?

Someone told me that Stanstead Abbotts had a lot of work done on its river and it couldn't flood now. Any truth to that?

Replies:


Reply author: exiled_in_Reading
Replied on: 30 Oct 2006 12:45:54
Message:

depends on what you require the information for to be honest.

If you require it because you are thinking of buying property in any particular area, you would be well advised to do a ENQP1 search with the environment agency which would reveal information about floods and risk of flooding in an area, and a bit of the history behind it.

From memory this costs about 50 quid.

If it is just out of interest, i'm afraid I dont know of any free sites to use...


Reply author: Ray_by_the_Beane
Replied on: 30 Oct 2006 13:07:16
Message:

The Beane from the Port Vale side of the Cowbridge bridge to Hartham Common had alleviation work done in 1978. The river for that stretch is now essentially in a concrete culvert.


Reply author: nora batty
Replied on: 30 Oct 2006 14:36:35
Message:

The Lower Hatfield Road used to flood severely under the railway bridge by Cecil Road.

Check this out
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/commondata/acrobat/chap1_1473714.pdf

especially page 9. It seems there is a flood relief channel from Ware to London.


Reply author: Dude
Replied on: 31 Oct 2006 16:22:38
Message:

quote:
Originally posted by exiled_in_Reading

depends on what you require the information for to be honest.

If you require it because you are thinking of buying property in any particular area, you would be well advised to do a ENQP1 search with the environment agency which would reveal information about floods and risk of flooding in an area, and a bit of the history behind it.

From memory this costs about 50 quid.

If it is just out of interest, i'm afraid I dont know of any free sites to use...



My dad is getting on, and he is going to downsize house, but he is not sure where he wants to live. But he has a thing about flood risk (he can't swim), so before I go house hunting with him, I want to rule out the flood arguments!


Reply author: exiled_in_Reading
Replied on: 31 Oct 2006 17:12:55
Message:

quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:
Originally posted by exiled_in_Reading

depends on what you require the information for to be honest.

If you require it because you are thinking of buying property in any particular area, you would be well advised to do a ENQP1 search with the environment agency which would reveal information about floods and risk of flooding in an area, and a bit of the history behind it.

From memory this costs about 50 quid.

If it is just out of interest, i'm afraid I dont know of any free sites to use...



My dad is getting on, and he is going to downsize house, but he is not sure where he wants to live. But he has a thing about flood risk (he can't swim), so before I go house hunting with him, I want to rule out the flood arguments!



In that case an ENQP1 search would show all current and historic risks to a property and its immediate area, and sounds like a good spend of 50 quid...

Your solicitor would almost certainly do such a search anyway during pre contract tasks, along with identifying any other environmental risks, but obviously you have to pay for their time...




Reply author: Dude
Replied on: 06 Nov 2006 01:19:59
Message:

I think I'll just steer clear of the flood plains!


Reply author: wingnut
Replied on: 27 Jun 2007 20:47:59
Message:

In light of the flooding in the midlands and North East, it may be wise for people to check preperatons for future possible flooding, a similar amount of rainfall in the Hertford area would cause terrible problems
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/flood/National_summary.html


Reply author: wingnut
Replied on: 27 Jun 2007 20:55:48
Message:

If you check the flood risk map you can see the castle with a lovely moat!


Reply author: JohnSmith
Replied on: 27 Jun 2007 21:25:14
Message:

We Sele Farmers have no worries


Reply author: Drama Queen
Replied on: 28 Jun 2007 09:58:03
Message:

I swear by living on a hill, all the water runs off it!!!!!


Reply author: shunt
Replied on: 28 Jun 2007 11:06:20
Message:

quote:
Originally posted by Drama Queen

I swear by living on a hill, all the water runs off it!!!!!


Me to. If Hertford does flood, we'll just declare Bengeo an independant island principality and buy a boat.


Reply author: JohnSmith
Replied on: 28 Jun 2007 11:29:26
Message:

Google Earth tells you how far above sea level you are. The Beane is about 40m with Sele Farm about 70m. Nice little feature - it is shown as Elev at the bottom of the screen and the measurement relates to where the cursor is.


Reply author: Marilyn
Replied on: 28 Jun 2007 11:59:19
Message:

quote:
Originally posted by shunt

quote:
Originally posted by Drama Queen

I swear by living on a hill, all the water runs off it!!!!!


Me to. If Hertford does flood, we'll just declare Bengeo an independant island principality and buy a boat.



I seem to remember being told Bengeo is higher than anywhere else between here and the East Coast so Essex would disappear before we did! and then we would all head for the top of the Water Tower!


Reply author: Steve
Replied on: 28 Jun 2007 13:10:33
Message:

quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn
I seem to remember being told Bengeo is higher than anywhere else between here and the East Coast so Essex would disappear before we did! and then we would all head for the top of the Water Tower!


Bengeo is 230ft AMSL
Stansted is around 300ft AMSL
Matching Tye, directly to the East is 260ft AMSL


Reply author: shunt
Replied on: 28 Jun 2007 13:30:13
Message:

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn
I seem to remember being told Bengeo is higher than anywhere else between here and the East Coast so Essex would disappear before we did! and then we would all head for the top of the Water Tower!


Bengeo is 230ft AMSL
Stansted is around 300ft AMSL
Matching Tye, directly to the East is 260ft AMSL


An occupation force will be sailing on those as soon as the Bengeo Navy is built and we get our SAS chaps out of the White Lion.


Reply author: Drama Queen
Replied on: 28 Jun 2007 15:03:31
Message:

I've always liked to imagine how the view would be from Bengeo Water Tower.. I am no good in a boat, go a bit green but, if you set up Bengeo Airforce I would be very happy to push a trolley up and down an aircraft and offer food, beverages and duty frees !!!


Discover Hertford Online Forum : http://www.hertford.net/yoursay/

© 2002-13 hertsWEB Community Network

Close Window