Foggy Lights

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
codek2
Re: Foggy Lights

Post by codek2 » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 2:19 pm

No, I dont believe so.
However re: broken light there is a clause in the MOT that certain features if fitted must work, and foglights fall under that. (And there is a caveat that if the lights are uneconomical to repair people have been known to remove the switch in the cabin lol)

Footfruit

Post by Footfruit » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 2:37 pm

codek2 wrote:No, I dont believe so.
However re: broken light there is a clause in the MOT that certain features if fitted must work, and foglights fall under that. (And there is a caveat that if the lights are uneconomical to repair people have been known to remove the switch in the cabin lol)
Thanks codek2 for (ahem) illuminating us . Perhaps the less drastic alternative would be just not to switch them on and thereby not attract the attention of the local mobile constabulary ;)

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:06 am

Rear fog lights must be fitted. I imported a car a couple of years ago and that particular variant was never sold in the UK so did not have the means to have one a fog light and we had to retro fit one to get it through the MOT. It was a right PITA

codek2

Post by codek2 » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 4:22 pm

thats true - most importers handle that for you though. Thats why you often see some pretty nice (often japanese) sporty cars, and yet they have these cheap and nasty rear foglights cludged onto the back!

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 5:12 pm

codek2 wrote:thats true - most importers handle that for you though. Thats why you often see some pretty nice (often japanese) sporty cars, and yet they have these cheap and nasty rear foglights cludged onto the back!
:oops:
Mine is a Japanese sports car. But I imported it myself as it is 25 years old.

Louis M

Post by Louis M » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 4:48 pm

bubbaoshea wrote:It worked....

Now another 8 meaningless posts.
This is very funny.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 10:14 am

Well fog again this morning and I seem to have passed more people than ever when it was still dark and with only one headlight working with or without fog lights on.

Joby

Post by Joby » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 11:12 am

Marilyn wrote:Well fog again this morning and I seem to have passed more people than ever when it was still dark and with only one headlight working with or without fog lights on.
Driving standards do seem to deteriorate sharply with the weather.

robbiebgg

Post by robbiebgg » Tue 28 Jan, 2014 11:35 pm

I have had auto headlights on various cars for many years which I find really useful, but you do have to switch them to manual when it is daylight and foggy. Likewise when it is raining which happens more regularly than fog.

highwayman

Post by highwayman » Sat 01 Feb, 2014 2:50 pm

Many cars have automatic light switching just as windscreen wipers can be controlled by rain sensors. But none, as far as I know, have fog detectors.

This is what Highway Code says about it:

Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

But what some, annoyingly, are not aware of is

Rule 236
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.