Climate Emergency Declared

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Post Reply
TcfL
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon 16 Oct, 2017 7:57 am

Climate Emergency Declared

Post by TcfL » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 11:33 am

So HCC has passed a resolution to declare a climate emergency https://bit.ly/2SD5TUZ and a Sustainable Hertfordshire Strategy will be presented to Cabinet before the end of the year. I wonder if they would be prepared to consider as para 1 - remove free parking at County Hall and encourage all staff (incl Officers) to walk, cycle, use public transport or work from home? With an additional note to also encourage local businesses to do the same by limiting parking, of non-residents, on residential roads to no more than two hours AM or PM and displaying details of local car parks that are available Just an idea.
User avatar
Steve
Project Leader
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed 06 Nov, 2013 12:01 am

Re: Climate Emergency Declared

Post by Steve » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 6:11 pm

May be a moot point as electric cars enter the mainstream.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49022684

That said, bosses at County Hall are well aware of the traffic issues resulting from staff travelling to and from CH. They're also aware of the inadequacy of east-west public transport in the county.

At least we won't have the incinerator belching out nasties in Hoddesdon or Hatfield.
TcfL
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon 16 Oct, 2017 7:57 am

Re: Climate Emergency Declared

Post by TcfL » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 7:01 am

Don't see electric vehicles as solving congestion problems and they do bring their own pollution and resource issues https://bit.ly/2LQnEfu hence my suggestion to remove free parking. There must be investment in a public transport network that serves ALL not just the main hubs, which is where HCC policy goes. Very much agree the incinerator point but see no sign of UK Gov/CCs going, at other than snail pace, for more upstream recycling processes https://bit.ly/32GwFjM rather than moving towards a 'pay as you recycle' policy - good luck with the green and pleasant land on that one.
Golden
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun 01 Dec, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Climate Emergency Declared

Post by Golden » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 12:08 pm

Removing free parking at CH will only see further congestion in nearby streets so I can't see how that will solve any problems? What they need to discourage is the school runs for localish children - cycling/walking to school taught me a lot and as well as pollution the kids are missing out on a lot ;)
monkeyman1974
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue 19 Apr, 2016 9:19 pm

Re: Climate Emergency Declared

Post by monkeyman1974 » Thu 25 Jul, 2019 9:46 pm

TcfL wrote:
Sun 21 Jul, 2019 11:33 am
So HCC has passed a resolution to declare a climate emergency https://bit.ly/2SD5TUZ and a Sustainable Hertfordshire Strategy will be presented to Cabinet before the end of the year. I wonder if they would be prepared to consider as para 1 - remove free parking at County Hall and encourage all staff (incl Officers) to walk, cycle, use public transport or work from home? With an additional note to also encourage local businesses to do the same by limiting parking, of non-residents, on residential roads to no more than two hours AM or PM and displaying details of local car parks that are available Just an idea.
Indeed, and maybe stop rat-running through SG13 streets to County Hall
monkeyman1974
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue 19 Apr, 2016 9:19 pm

Re: Climate Emergency Declared

Post by monkeyman1974 » Thu 25 Jul, 2019 9:49 pm

Steve wrote:
Sun 21 Jul, 2019 6:11 pm
May be a moot point as electric cars enter the mainstream.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49022684

That said, bosses at County Hall are well aware of the traffic issues resulting from staff travelling to and from CH. They're also aware of the inadequacy of east-west public transport in the county.

At least we won't have the incinerator belching out nasties in Hoddesdon or Hatfield.
AKA as clean energy and progress..
monkeyman1974
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue 19 Apr, 2016 9:19 pm

Re: Climate Emergency Declared

Post by monkeyman1974 » Thu 25 Jul, 2019 9:53 pm

Golden wrote:
Mon 22 Jul, 2019 12:08 pm
Removing free parking at CH will only see further congestion in nearby streets so I can't see how that will solve any problems? What they need to discourage is the school runs for localish children - cycling/walking to school taught me a lot and as well as pollution the kids are missing out on a lot ;)
Local roads are pretty much full anyway, so I think it would have an effect; as would car-share.

Totally agree with walking to school, albeit the sibling rule, causes a major problem there. Plus why are buses free for those 60+ but not 12 year old girls...
newcomer
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon 02 Dec, 2013 11:00 am

Re: Climate Emergency Declared

Post by newcomer » Fri 26 Jul, 2019 2:47 pm

TcfL wrote:
Sun 21 Jul, 2019 11:33 am
So HCC has passed a resolution to declare a climate emergency
Yet a lot of the very same councillors on East Herts District Council have just voted not to declare a Climate Emergency in the district! More importantly they amended away a lot of the concrete actions proposed (by the LibDems and supported by the Greens and Labour).
TcfL
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon 16 Oct, 2017 7:57 am

Re: Climate Emergency Declared

Post by TcfL » Sun 28 Jul, 2019 1:21 pm

Always difficult when you have so many levels of democracy that the same person can express a different view at different levels. Perhaps an answer would be to reduce the levels and remove CCs, replacing them with a 'joint service delivery (JSD)' organisation which supplies all Districts with a common service contract for eg police, fire, disaster planning, educaiton, recycling and waste etc. An Executive Board, with representation from, and responsibility to, each District would oversee the JSD, its financing and remuneration contract and performance?
Golden
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun 01 Dec, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Climate Emergency Declared

Post by Golden » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 1:07 pm

Having been part of a team that tried to convince the county councils that joint procurement would be beneficial and cost saving (for fire service uniforms via the LFB) all I can say is good luck, unfortunately many of them still enjoy meeting/lunches/dinners/etc. with the suppliers and others don't want to lose their little England power bases.
Post Reply