"Hertford & Ware" Mercury

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Sniffer Dog
Re: "Hertford & Ware" Mercury

Post by Sniffer Dog » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 1:22 pm

Newgirl - local news and lifestyle magazine Axis offers a comprehensive guide to what's on which includes local events, arts and entertainment each month!
The August issue featured a preview of Hertford Music Festival including the Musical Mystery Tour and news and events important to the town are always given coverage.
(I confess an association with Axis but hopefully admin will see this as helpful rather than advertising!)
Others might be interested to know that it was set up by two former regional newspaper editors who prior to launching had found themselves (via one of the regular takeovers that happens in the newspaper industry) unfortunate enough to be working for.... you guessed it ...Trinity Mirror, and saw the writing on the wall for their titles (a few years down the line and yet more changes of ownership in some cases but they are all now closed).
Axis was their way of regaining their sanity after several years in the 'sausage factory' as it was dubbed by staff and of proving that it is possible to put out an informative, accurate, relevant, quality product in the local market place and earn a living at the same time!
It's delivered free to 9,000 homes in selected areas across east Herts each month which is almost the same figure as the Mercury series sells across a wider area.
For anyone who doesn't receive a copy through their door it's available for free pick up from the first week of the month at a number of local venues which, in Hertford, include Waitrose (this week only!!), Hertford Theatre, Hertford Town and Tourist Information Centre, Cinnabar, The Dog and Whistle, Clock Cards, Hertford House Hotel, The Salisbury, Hertford Museum, Courtyard Arts and East Herts Council office at Wallfields. Or, there are always copies in the reception area of Axis's offices at Tooke House, 20 Bull Plain.

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 7:18 pm

It's a very good magazine
But my only criticism is that because it's only monthly, it's quickly out of date from a "News" POV

Much better than the Mercury

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 05 Sep, 2017 12:52 pm

My criticism is the use of the word 'Selected'.

My circle of friends were talking about it and they were complimentary. I had no idea it existed and it turns out that the audience is highly selective.

My friend in Stansted Abbotts gets it
My friend on the edge of Hertford town gets it
And of course, my friend in Bengeo gets it (probably gift wrapped)

Me? I live on Sele Farm so we don't get it. Clearly I don't get on their demographic despite them knowing nothing about me.

It really really irritated me as it was so obvious.
My friends laughed at me (good natured) but it stung.

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Tue 05 Sep, 2017 3:53 pm

I don't get it either but I think I've read it in Castlegate surgery or Serendipity. I'm near the town centre if that makes any difference - maybe 4 or 5 minutes walk from Marks and Spencers so relatively central.

Its certainly not a publication I would rely on for "whats happening" events being a monthly thing and hard to find.

I find Hertford town council twitter useful and "discover Hertford" -any I'm missing?

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Tue 05 Sep, 2017 8:59 pm

GO Hertford seems to have all the official events on

Sniffer Dog

Post by Sniffer Dog » Thu 07 Sep, 2017 2:10 pm

Good to get feedback - and thanks to those who made positive comments.

Axis was designed as a very different product from the local newspaper - the news in it is intended to keep those who might not have time to keep abreast of local issues on a daily basis up to date with the major news from the area once a month.
Smudger's right that it's (deliberately) not the place to look for daily breaking news.

Distribution is one of the biggest considerations for any publication and unfortunately an area where, as they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time.
The commercial reality is that a newspaper or magazine needs to be got into the hands of enough people who will read it, appreciate it, and potentially respond to the advertisers in it (who effectively fund its existence) for an affordable cost.

It does mean that not everyone will get a copy. If they did the cost to the local businesses advertising in it would be prohibitive.

When we use the word 'selected' we mean Axis is delivered to a representative cross section of homes across the area. It shouldn't be seen as a comment on where you live if you don't happen to receive a copy. And definitely no one gets giftwrap!

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 2:30 am

Interestingly, Iliffe are about to launch a new weekly local paper and website in Stortford. The editor is Paul Winspear, who was sacked from the Herts & Essex News by Trinity Mirror when they closed the Stortford office. Here's what he has to say:

"October 4th is Independence Day in Bishop's Stortford

Bishop's Stortford is to get a new weekly newspaper, complemented by a website free of intrusive pop-up ads, reporting in depth on local news and issues, as well as information on leisure events in and around the town.

The Bishop's Stortford Independent will be published every Wednesday, 64 pages, just 80p, published by family-owned Iliffe Media, publisher of the Cambridge Independent, which has twice been named UK Weekly Newspaper of the Year since it was launched a year ago.

We will be looking to champion the various sectors of Stortford's community, whether that be young people, schools, businesses, sports clubs, charities or community groups, clubs and societies. So if you feel your organisation has been missing out on coverage recently, come to us... we're here to listen, we're here because we care.

Our editorial team of editor Paul Winspear, news editor Sinead Corr, reporter Cat Barkley and photographer Vikki Lince are raring to get cracking. Why not pop in and say hello from our launch day, October 4th?

Of course, we need your help and support to make this a success - to be able to deliver to the community what has been sadly lacking over the past 12 months. So we want to hear your news and views.
"

Vikki Lince also used to work for The Mercury

Clearly Trinity Mirror are failing Bishop's Stortford as much as they Hertford.