A Black Hole is forming

News and views on shopping in the county town.
SloopJohnB
A Black Hole is forming

Post by SloopJohnB » Fri 14 Jul, 2017 2:15 pm

Mrs B came home lunchtime and said a customer had told her that two more shops in town were closing. I checked. The Creative Sanctuary and the Oak Room have both announced that they will close towards the end of summer. Hob hairdressers has gone, Halifax has gone, Waitrose soon to go, quite a few others if the Bircherley Green Shopping Centre Redevelopment Plan is approved. Where will it end?

Answer is: I don't know, but it comes as no surprise and that is the worst of all.

There is less and less to come into Hertford for during the day. I heard that a restaurant is about to close as well so not just the day time. You can't blame it all on the internet, or rates, or rents, or parking, or traffic wardens. So where is the expensively produced Vision and Design Strategy now? Because I don't hear any solutions coming from the powers that be. I hear a lot of moaning from residents but no one has an answer. Not even me and that is a first. Anyone?

City Fella

Re: A Black Hole is forming

Post by City Fella » Fri 14 Jul, 2017 3:17 pm

Add to that Emma H on Fore Street now gone too

Understandable about the ones in Bircherley Green as the landlord is simply enforcing break options or not accepting renewals after the current lease expires due to the planned redevelopment. Not sure why the others are all going though...rental prices rising? lack of demand? better options elsewhere?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 14 Jul, 2017 8:07 pm

I'm amazed Emma H lasted as long as it did.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 14 Jul, 2017 8:29 pm

Steve wrote:I'm amazed Emma H lasted as long as it did.
It's no surprise that a handful of shops should closed around quarter day. As City Fella says, Bircherey Gren closures are to be expected. Others will have their own particular reasons - rent, business rates, the internet and simple business failure may be among them. I don't see any cause for concern. Other businesses will open as they always have, some better thought through than others! The fact that a restaurant may close is not unsurprising, given the competition in the town. I'm only surprised a hairdresser, beautician or estate agent hasn't closed!.

wardclan

Post by wardclan » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:38 am

It's obvious why , no high street chains of clothes shops , that is what brings people in to a town , a wide variety of clothes shops then the independents prosper off the back of them, unfortunately you have to get the big guys in first ! Hopefully the proposed development may have an impact. There is enough people what with all the new flats being built to sustain Hertford shops but to be fair myself as a middle aged man have absolutely knowhere to shop in Hertford for clothes unless I want to spend a weeks wages on a shirt !!! I was down in st Ives in Cornwall a couple of years ago and a similar thing is happening there , boarded up premises poundstretchers and charity shops, it's all about the correct balance of shops period .

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 1:37 pm

One of the problems Hertford faces (along with Ware and Hoddesdon) is that we are surrounded on all sides by nearby larger new towns, which attracts many of the chain retailers, who regard us as being within those catchment areas. IMHO.

However, Saville's have a very good record on filling retail units. Bircherley Green has been virtually 100% occupied over the 30 years it's been operating.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 7:27 am

just to add a bit of context - the oak room and the creative sanctuary are one and the same thing - So it's just one business that is going there, if that makes sense!

Sad to see creative go though, my daughter loved it there! Their craft sessions were rarely fully booked and i'm not sure why really!

HertfordEastEnd

Post by HertfordEastEnd » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 2:24 pm

Will miss the Oak Room as it is great in there around Christmas and Easter, and you can pick up some really unusual gifts in there. That's a shame. Think they have been here a couple of years?

Katsura Shade

Post by Katsura Shade » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 11:12 pm

Spoke to the owner recently, Four Seasons on Fore Street will be closing in the Autumn too.

mdja

Post by mdja » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 7:51 pm

Surprised about the Oak Room, they always seemed to be busy.