Something new, something old

News and views on shopping in the county town.
SloopJohnB
Something new, something old

Post by SloopJohnB » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 11:28 am

On one of my rare strolls around town these days I noticed that the premises once used by Colormax in Mill Bridge is now to be a Coffee Bar. My God, how Hertford has needs one of these. Next door the premises used by Pin Club is to be the new TIC.

So, one shop which sold a lot of interesting type stuff gets replaced by another of which there are so many already. On the other hand a shop which no one had the slightest idea what it sold or when it was open is replaced by a centre for tourism - bigger premises in a location which is more easily accessible and even commands footfall. Other than in its previous location where town centre signage had visitors walking around in circles because the signs just kept saying turn left, or right; very much like Harris being caught in the Hampton Court Maze. Perhaps there should have been a large finger in the sky pointing downwards to Market Place.

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Something new, something old

Post by Steve » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 12:00 pm

SloopJohnB wrote:On one of my rare strolls around town these days I noticed that the premises once used by Colormax in Mill Bridge is now to be a Coffee Bar. My God, how Hertford has needs one of these.
It's actually an estate agent with a coffee bar.

http://www.gomovehome.co.uk/

"Our innovative modern coffee shops are fused with our estate agencies which gives our customers a completely relaxed environment to talk about their property and somewhere you can bring friends and family along and stay as long or as little as you like."

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 12:17 pm

Well there you go Steve. Another Estate Agent. So many new builds in town i suppose there is a market for another one. Estate Agent that is. People used to complain to me that Hertford was full of estate agents, charity shops and coffee bars (not necessarily in that order). I used to be able to disagree. Not any more.

When I was a young man I had a dream of opening a book shop with coffee bar attached so that customers could browse for books, read the ones they bought and chew over the daily newspapers whilst having a extra milky latte although they didn't exist in the 1960's; it was just nescaff in a chipped mug. Now you can buy a house whilst discussing the merits of the exotic North Java coffee bean. Why not just offer a cup of coffee of tea whilst browsing the colour brochures; or am I missing something? I suppose the cups and the serviettes and table linen will all be branded and polite young men in sharp suits will ask if they can offer me a two bedroom semi detached on a new estate with all amenities when I drop in for an expresso and chocolate cake to chat over the Euro results with friends. Or am i just being a cynical, embittered old man?

Capitalist Piglet

Post by Capitalist Piglet » Sat 11 Jun, 2016 8:29 am

:D :D :D

MultiDad

Post by MultiDad » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 12:05 pm

if there's going to be a coffe shop/estate agent combo, perhaps we should think about how we could combine other Hertford businesses.

what about Austin's the Undertaker and Manic Ceramics. make arrangements for a loved ones send-off whilst making a dinner plate in the shape of a turtle?

Irons dry cleaners and one of the many 'barbers' in town. Clean your clothes whilst 'cleaning' money at the same time.'hint, hint'

what other combos are there?

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 3:39 pm

How about an eye test in Spec Savers... combined with reading the Ts and C's of any document provided by a Solicitor !!!!! :D