SG13 or SG14

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Hertford?
lotus112
Re: SG13 or SG14

Post by lotus112 » Fri 20 May, 2016 6:17 pm

highwood38 wrote:There are lists of vacancies too:

http://www.hertsdirect.org/docs/pdf/adm ... ondary.pdf

Highwood .....you have been so very kind.
Great info given here and with the map.

You must work for the council.....

codek2

Post by codek2 » Fri 20 May, 2016 7:04 pm

You should read the latest ofsted reports on sele, and look at their results and then make your choice.

The problem for sele - is simply comparative. Simon balle, but especially presdales and richard hale are soooo good, that it makes sele look pretty mediocre.

lotus112

Post by lotus112 » Sat 21 May, 2016 1:10 pm

codek2 wrote:You should read the latest ofsted reports on sele, and look at their results and then make your choice.

The problem for sele - is simply comparative. Simon balle, but especially presdales and richard hale are soooo good, that it makes sele look pretty mediocre.

Yes I can indeed see the difference in results......
35% pass rate at gcse for sele is very unappealing.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 24 May, 2016 8:29 am

lotus112 wrote:
codek2 wrote:You should read the latest ofsted reports on sele, and look at their results and then make your choice.

Please do not dismiss Sele on that basis alone. The problem, in my opinion, is the demographic. Richard Hale, Simon Balle and Predales are exceptionally good schools and parents fight to get their children in them. Often the children of parents who are committed to their education fare very well whereas if the parents are not committed to the education, it falls to the child to self motivate and a lot of teenagers do not. I know of one girl who was pretty much written off in London schools, moved to Hertford, attended Sele for the last 3 years of senior school and is now at University and thriving.

Go and visit the schools and see which ones you and your children like the best. They all have different qualities and we are truly spoilt in Hertford.

lotus112

Post by lotus112 » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:47 pm

Kateg28 wrote:
lotus112 wrote:

Please do not dismiss Sele on that basis alone. The problem, in my opinion, is the demographic. Richard Hale, Simon Balle and Predales are exceptionally good schools and parents fight to get their children in them. Often the children of parents who are committed to their education fare very well whereas if the parents are not committed to the education, it falls to the child to self motivate and a lot of teenagers do not. I know of one girl who was pretty much written off in London schools, moved to Hertford, attended Sele for the last 3 years of senior school and is now at University and thriving
Go and visit the schools and see which ones you and your children like the best. They all have different qualities and we are truly spoilt in Hertford.
Thanks Kateg28 for the positive reply.
It is just not possible unfortunately to visit any schools as we are living abroad.
Great to hear that Sele has done good for motivated teenagers with parents that are committed to their education...I know I am and cannot understand how a parent cannot be.
Have you any experience with Sele directly.....children there or perhaps know of any families with children attending?

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Tue 31 May, 2016 9:30 pm

I have children at Sele. We viewed all the local schools both on open evenings and during the day. Both our sons and us decided that Sele was right for them and put it down as first choice. Glad to say we were not wrong, they are both doing very well and are happy there.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 8:30 am

lotus112 wrote: Thanks Kateg28 for the positive reply.
It is just not possible unfortunately to visit any schools as we are living abroad.
Great to hear that Sele has done good for motivated teenagers with parents that are committed to their education...I know I am and cannot understand how a parent cannot be.
Have you any experience with Sele directly.....children there or perhaps know of any families with children attending?
No, my son attends Richard Hale (or technically left last Thursday, just going in for exams) as I felt Richard Hale was right for my son. He has thrived there and I am pleased with [our] choice to send him there but... that was for him. Children are different and I think he would have thrived at all the schools as I am motivated with him to push him to reach his full potential.

I only know of my friend's daughter who I mentioned above but I do live near to The Sele School so see a lot of their students around when I am at home on a school day. There are some bad elements I am sure but I haven't seen any myself.

lotus112

Post by lotus112 » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 5:26 pm

Minnie wrote:I have children at Sele. We viewed all the local schools both on open evenings and during the day. Both our sons and us decided that Sele was right for them and put it down as first choice. Glad to say we were not wrong, they are both doing very well and are happy there.

Nice post Minnie...thankyou
May I ask the age of your children and why you all decided that Sele was right for them?

lotus112

Post by lotus112 » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 5:28 pm

Kateg28 wrote:
lotus112 wrote: Thanks Kateg28 for the positive reply.
No, my son attends Richard Hale (or technically left last Thursday, just going in for exams) as I felt Richard Hale was right for my son. He has thrived there and I am pleased with [our] choice to send him there but... that was for him. Children are different and I think he would have thrived at all the schools as I am motivated with him to push him to reach his full potential.

I only know of my friend's daughter who I mentioned above but I do live near to The Sele School so see a lot of their students around when I am at home on a school day. There are some bad elements I am sure but I haven't seen any myself.

Is it right to say that to be accepted for Richard Hale or Simon Balle you have to have a SG13 post code?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 6:17 pm

Steve wrote:
lotus112 wrote: Is it right to say that to be accepted for Richard Hale or Simon Balle you have to have a SG13 post code?
No, much of Hertford is in SG14.

In fact the SG14 boundary runs past the Richard Hale School gates!

Loosely speaking, East & South Hertford are in SG13, West & North Hertford are in SG14.

And plenty of girls who live in SG13 & SG14 go to Presdales, which is in SG12.

You probably shouldn't attach to much importance to postcodes! (or to be technically correct outward codes - the four characters before the space) :)