Colin Sykes.

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Ewoowar
Colin Sykes.

Post by Ewoowar » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 2:35 pm

It appears Colin Sykes is closing down.

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Colin Sykes.

Post by Steve » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 3:11 pm

Ewoowar wrote:It appears Colin Sykes is closing down.
Who?

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 5:57 pm

I think you are playing the wag with us Steve.

Colin Sykes jewellers of Bircherley Green has been trading in Hertford since 1980. That's 35 years. One of Hertford's longest traders. He used to have premises in Maidenhead Street where once was Artico but where you can now milk a cow. I spoke to him a few weeks ago and he was intending to stay on for a few weeks after the end of May to tidy up etc. He is past 70 years old, doesn't look it and wanted to carry on but couldn't agree terms with the landlord; and retired.

Fortunately another jeweller is taking over and I think at least one job has been saved as well.

Another last man standing is Ashleys (Maidenhead Street Steve). I don't know her name but have been chatting to the lady that serves there for years. She told me that they have been trading there since 1992 - 23 years, almost a fixture. They go at the end of June.

So many Hertford names going. Who next I wonder.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 9:26 pm

SloopJohnB wrote:I think you are playing the wag with us Steve.

Colin Sykes jewellers of Bircherley Green has been trading in Hertford since 1980.
Initially I was at a loss but then realised it was the jewellers. However, posters should remember that not everyone reading this forum is a Hertford veteran who knows the name of every shop in town, so a little more information would be useful for the newcomers! :)

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 7:44 am

The lady in Ashleys is Bahti. It is a family business and they have another shop in Essex. They have lost out to internet shopping and people only thinking of china/crockery in John Lewis etc. It is sad as I have been a frequent customer over the years.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks Marilyn. I can't go on calling her Mrs Ashley.

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 7:17 pm

Steve wrote:
SloopJohnB wrote:I think you are playing the wag with us Steve.

Colin Sykes jewellers of Bircherley Green has been trading in Hertford since 1980.
Initially I was at a loss but then realised it was the jewellers. However, posters should remember that not everyone reading this forum is a Hertford veteran who knows the name of every shop in town, so a little more information would be useful for the newcomers! :)
C'mon Steve, you don't need to be a Hertford 'veteran' to know of a shop in Hertford.

Footfruit

Post by Footfruit » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 2:38 pm

Ewoowar wrote: C'mon Steve, you don't need to be a Hertford 'veteran' to know of a shop in Hertford.
Not long before you will need to be though :-)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 6:29 pm

Could anybody help me please? I gave in some jewellery into Colin Sykes but forgot to collect it. Now the shop is closed I need to find a way of contacting him to get the jewellery back. Does anyone have any advice or pointers regarding how I can go about doing this?

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 2:25 pm

Have you tried asking the shopping centre manager if he has a forwarding address or phone number. He is often about down there and has an office just along from where the jewelers was in the old chocolate shop I think.