Panshanger Park,
Nr Welwyn,
Hertfordshire ,
SG14 2WN

Welwyn? Welwyn?

Marilyn

Re: Family Fun Day - Panshanger - This Sunday

Post by Marilyn » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 8:54 am

I expect its the post office that decided it was near Welwyn!! The fact that most of WGC was originally Panshanger Park land would not be of interest to them..........

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 9:36 am

Darn, should have checked the Forum! We went along late Sunday afternoon anyway to belatedly check out the park.

I googled for "Panshanger Park" beforehand for info (remembering the disussion on here about lack of signage) and got theFriends of Panshanger site but there was no mention of a fun day on there that I could see.

Anyway as luck would have it we turned up at the Theives Lane car park about 4pm and there was a sign saying parking for the Fun Day on the way in. Once parked, there was a banner for the fun day and we found the notice board which had a poster advertising the fun day and listing all the fun activities but not further info about where it was. I know this topic has been done before but we couldn't find any further signs indicating where to go! I see from the link posted that there should have been signs to the parking area at Riverside Cottage but they eluded us.

We stuck to our original plans having looked at the map online and headed to the lake. We eventually did spot a load of cars in a field in the distance and met someone coming back who told us it was a long walk so probably not worth it (it was nearly over).

So yes, we shouldn't be spoonfed everything and use our initiative a bit but how do people find out about stuff like this? (we managed to get to the Malaysian festival the other weekend after someone posted it on here, thanks to whoever posted that) Thanks for codek2 for posting this but I'm definuitely with people who say the signs are somewhat lacking.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 9:48 am

Excellent day, massive sandpit was hugely popular in the fun for kids AND dads :) Free Tea, Coffee Cake and water! Nice. Lots of interesting ideas being bandied around.

Free coffee and cake was great. The drive up the track must have been interesting in some of the cars I saw that made it. Access is definitely an issue for the park, if they're going to continue with events then having them at the cottage is not really the way to go!

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 9:51 am

newcomer - suspect they had taken the signs down at that time. when we came into thieves lane car park there was marshal in high vis and massive orange signs showing which way to go. (top right hand corner of the car park as you come in)

Once again - the turnout was excellent. they must have been very happy with the numbers. (Whether the people living in the cottage thought so im not so sure! )

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 5:01 pm

There were banners up for at least a week prior to this event.They were about 3 foot high,and one was on the fence at the roundabout for thieves lane and A414.