20 MPH zone West of Bengeo Street.

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Kateg28
Re: 20 MPH zone West of Bengeo Street.

Post by Kateg28 » Sun 24 May, 2015 11:54 am

Darcy Sarto wrote:I love it - degrees of stereotypicality based on model number. Someone should produce a guide for the uninitiated about the humanity of the 5 series driver and the artistic flair possessed by the M6 Gran Coupe set... :lol:
I was referring to the actual incidents that Threadman described not all those models of BMW but as you are all intent on deciding I am an aggressive rude driver I shall not bother as it makes no difference what I say or do.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sun 24 May, 2015 3:22 pm

Maybe we should just stick to the subject of the discussion :)

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Sun 24 May, 2015 5:53 pm

Steve wrote:Maybe we should just stick to the subject of the discussion :)
Boooo! Come on Steve - what do you drive so we can do analysis?

On the subject in hand - I'm all for it (even though I've got form as a 20mph speed limit breaker). Indeed I remain in favour of a barrier halfway down Byde Street completely eliminating the rat run (this would be a gated barrier still allowing access for emergency vehicles). Having to enter "Lower Bengeo" from one end or the other depending on which side of the barrier you reside should be a small price to pay for safety and the elimination of selfish, speeding, rat-run, BMW* drivers.

* Other brands of sociopathy inducing vehicles are available. Purchase of a BMW does not necessarily guarantee an instant feeling of superiority over, and disregard for, other road users. The British Medical Association does not, however,recommend purchase and/or driving of BMW vehicles if you are already susceptible to being a bit of an arse (although certain models in the range have been shown to have some positive side effects)....

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Mon 25 May, 2015 11:02 am

Many of the drivers this will hopefully slow down are those that come in from The Avenue/Bengeo Street junction early in the morning to access Hertford North station. It doesn't matter what they drive they almost ALL drive tool fast round The Avenue and get really upset when they have to slow down/ stop for residents who have the audacity to want to go the other way!
It might slow down some of the cars using the Duncombe Road/ Cross Road area as a additional route/car park for Duncombe School as well.
Lets just hope it goes ahead and does make a difference for the sake of pedestrians and children who use the area for Bengeo and Millmead schools.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 26 May, 2015 11:47 am

Darcy Sarto wrote:
* Other brands of sociopathy inducing vehicles are available. Purchase of a BMW does not necessarily guarantee an instant feeling of superiority over, and disregard for, other road users. The British Medical Association does not, however,recommend purchase and/or driving of BMW vehicles if you are already susceptible to being a bit of an arse (although certain models in the range have been shown to have some positive side effects)....
:lol:

highwood38

Post by highwood38 » Wed 27 May, 2015 3:54 pm

Presumably everyone who is in favour has responded to the consultation saying that in order to help support the proposals? I think it would be a really good idea and a helpful first step (as a previous poster already said) to somewhat rebalance the roads in a residential neighbourhood away from the dominance of cars in favour of pedestrians.

On the subject of making walking in Bengeo more pleasant, I also noticed the Council's online highway fault report allows you to report issues with the footpaths - there are quite a few logged for Bengeo, though I don't know how quickly they deal with them (actually the website even says they don't deal with all reports - which I suspect is an understatement...)

http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/tra ... vices/hfr/

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 4:12 pm

As a resident I have witnessed a lot of the traffic speeds coming through the Avenue and down to the rat run when the Council decided to stop people turning right into Cross Road after 7.30 am in the morning for a few hours each day... The speed of - All car types and drivers is ferocious, covering large 4 x 4, mums, dads, single people, vauxhall corsas, transit vans.. it doesn't matter who you are or what you are driving if you're going faster than 30 I have seen you! How they are going to police this to stop those driving fast past the school at Bengeo is beyond me. A great idea in theory... practice.. well lets just say you still after 6 years have people cutting down Cross Road after 7.30 am cos I've witnessed them doing it.. So back the trucks up on it only being BMW drivers going fast - its not trust me its all sorts of drivers and cars/vans and people and I for one applaud anyone trying to do something to make roads safer for cars and pedestrians but without proper policing of all - including those who only drive through for work or business and don't live in the streets affected - I will not be expecting anyone to bother as drivers currently don't care now.....

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 8:39 am

I thought we had established that being an arse is not the exclusive remit of BMW drivers ("other sociopathy inducing vehicles are available...") although some of those 4x4's you mention are also BMW's - what kind of people must they be?

Install the Byde Street Barrier now - protect us from rampaging rat runners!