20 MPH zone West of Bengeo Street.

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
arty
Re: 20 MPH zone West of Bengeo Street.

Post by arty » Fri 22 May, 2015 9:39 am

At least they'll be something extra to add to Estate Agents blurb: house situated in the favoured 'West Bengeo' location ;)

But seriously, yes, it is a good idea - especially along Duncombe Road when frustrated drivers appear to speed up after being caught in the infamous Rat Run. Not sure how it'll be enforced, though. Maybe the Police will do a double shift after an hour in Cross Road stopping no right turns from Bengeo Street?!

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Fri 22 May, 2015 10:24 am

theadmans wrote:Good idea IMHO.

Only this lunchtime I was nearly mowed down by a BMW doing around 40 - 50 mph in Duncombe Road !

What is it with BMW's and breaking the speed limit ?

On a different topic has anyone else noticed how on motorway slip roads joining the carriageway - BMW drivers nearly always try to go from the slip road to the fast lane in the shortest possible distance (regardless of what other cars are in their way) ? :? :? :?
Really? Really? Attacking the choice of cars again? Do you have evidence of the alleged Slip Road behaviour? Is it 'nearly always' or have you witnessed it a couple of times and at least once it was a BMW so ergo all BMW drivers are awful?

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Fri 22 May, 2015 7:07 pm

If the cap fits.... ;)

theadmans

Post by theadmans » Sat 23 May, 2015 6:42 pm

On the BMW thing - I'm sure there are a small percentage that stick to the speed limits and don't do the slip lane to fast lane thing. However, in 30 years of driving I can safely say that I can predict with a fair degree of certainty what a BM driver will do. I give them plenty of room on passing slip roads and pull over when I sight them in my rear view mirror (even if I am going fast enough to overtake cars on the inner lanes myself).

The incident in Duncombe road with the 3 series doing 50mph really annoyed me - they could have easily killed someone with all the parked cars etc. It is not an isolated incident either - a few weeks beforehand I witnessed an X5 nearly go into a pensioner in a Fiesta at the junction of Duncombe and Church Road. The woman in the X5 then used the size of her car to intimidate the Fiesta driver into getting out the way (the whole time the woman in the X5 was on her mobile phone). I gave the X5 driver a long stare - she gave me the finger - nice !

On the whole I don't believe in generalizing but this is one stereotype that is appropriate in at least 80-90% of BMW drivers IMHO.

Hugo Kane

Post by Hugo Kane » Sat 23 May, 2015 7:49 pm

In my experience Audi drivers are just as bad. Nearly always one of those in the rear view mirror about 5cms from the back of my car.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sun 24 May, 2015 12:35 am

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:18 am

Hugo Kane wrote:In my experience Audi drivers are just as bad. Nearly always one of those in the rear view mirror about 5cms from the back of my car.
Audi drivers are a deeper more thoughtful stereotype than BMW drivers. More SS than Hitler Youth....

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:31 am

Threadman I must disagree with you.
I do not find that every BMW drives like that.

The 3 series and X5 series are truly shocking behaviour, absolutely, but that does not mean every BMW driver behaves like that.
I drive a 5 series and never speed in the towns, abhor use of phones when driving, just too dangerous, and do not bully drivers. So I am sorry, but I do not fit your stereotype and get fed up of being pigeonholed and assumptions made because of the car I drive.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:56 am

I love it - degrees of stereotypicality based on model number. Someone should produce a guide for the uninitiated about the humanity of the 5 series driver and the artistic flair possessed by the M6 Gran Coupe set... :lol:

theadmans

Post by theadmans » Sun 24 May, 2015 10:11 am

Just in case anyone thinks the BMW stereotype is an urban myth - here is a reference to 2 academic studies - one in the US and one in the UK both seem to be based on research data:-

http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/08/13/study ... are-jerks/

also....

http://thesupercarkids.com/why-do-bmw-d ... pes-exist/