Ticket Inspector on GA trains

For the customers of Greater Anglia, FCC and Network Rail
daskier
Ticket Inspector on GA trains

Post by daskier » Thu 30 Apr, 2015 6:51 am

In my experience, during peak times; the most likely location a ticket inspector gets on the train to check your ticket is between Ware and Hertford East.

I don't understand why this isn't varied significantly more.

The number of travellers drop significantly after Ware and if I was inclined not to buy the correct fare, I'll get off at Ware (which is feasible if a bit longer to get home for me).

P.s. uniformed police around the station yesterday. No idea why.

Golden

Re: Ticket Inspector on GA trains

Post by Golden » Thu 30 Apr, 2015 9:11 am

It gets a bit scary further down the line; tend to find them hiding after Cheshunt.

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Thu 30 Apr, 2015 10:06 am

They woke me up yesterday on the way into Hertford East. I had a ticket.

There were four Eastern European labourers (well, that's what they looked and sounded like) who couldn't make sense of the ticket machine and in the end gave up. I made them aware that there were inspectors on the train and managed to explain that they would be fined. So I explained how the machine worked.

I've done this a few other times recently when I know there are inspectors on the train and see people walking straight through the gates onto the platform.

I never used to do this but the behaviour ticket stasi towards me have changed my own behaviour.

By the way..............an inspector recently told me that they were stepping up on checks into Hertford East and that barriers were to be installed.

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Fri 01 May, 2015 9:53 am

Ewoowar wrote:By the way..............an inspector recently told me that they were stepping up on checks into Hertford East and that barriers were to be installed.
Hmm, well they'll have to do something to stop people jumping over the railings half way down platform 2 and nipping round the side then otherwise, as per usual, these measures will just inconvenience the law-abiding and not touch the deliberate avoiders.

Also I thought they have to have a member of staff there to help with the disabled/non-working tickets if they wanted to close the barriers and they haven't been willing to pay for staff so far!

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Fri 01 May, 2015 2:39 pm

newcomer wrote:
Ewoowar wrote:By the way..............an inspector recently told me that they were stepping up on checks into Hertford East and that barriers were to be installed.
Hmm, well they'll have to do something to stop people jumping over the railings half way down platform 2 and nipping round the side then otherwise, as per usual, these measures will just inconvenience the law-abiding and not touch the deliberate avoiders.

Also I thought they have to have a member of staff there to help with the disabled/non-working tickets if they wanted to close the barriers and they haven't been willing to pay for staff so far!
Hertford North has two staff on the barriers when they are closed. I don't think they can justify staff at Hertford East even during peak times. Catching the 17:41 from Liverpool Street yesterday there were still only maybe 30-40 people on the train when it terminated.

And all kids know about the railings.........haven't tried it myself.