Town Council Elections

Discussions about the Parliamentary and local council elections in Hertford

Will you be voting in the Town Council elections?

Yes
82%
No
6%
Undecided
12%

Total votes: 17

Steve
Project Leader
Town Council Elections

Post by Steve » Wed 01 Apr, 2015 2:55 am

It might be hard to believe, but 12 years ago the Town Council was Labour controlled.

Since then, in common with the District and County councils, Hertford Town Council has been dominated by Conservative councillors.

On Thursday 7th May, Hertford will have the opportunity to vote for a new town council, as well as sending representatives to the District Council and Parliament.

Will you be voting in the town council elections?
Last edited by Steve on Wed 01 Apr, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added 'Undecided' as a poll option

Ewoowar

Re: Town Council Elections

Post by Ewoowar » Wed 01 Apr, 2015 9:52 am

What about an option for 'undecided'.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Wed 01 Apr, 2015 11:30 am

No; Because I'm not in the town council ward.
(So i wont submit that as my vote.)

But if i was in the ward, then yes i would be voting.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Wed 01 Apr, 2015 5:02 pm

Yes I will. I think it is important to exercise one's democratic right; some people around the world don't get the chance. Not too sure where my four 'x's will go as I haven't seen all the candidates literature. Unlikely to go to all one party.

A question; why bother to vote. What is the point of the Town Council?

First answer. Yes, I was going to stand. On an Independent ticket. A swan song if you like. The only chance anyone gets to say what they want without a party machine telling them that if they don't do as they are told the whip will be removed. Sixteen Shades of Grey ;) . However owing to family reasons I have neither the passion, the will or the inclination to fight an election. And it is not something I will discuss on an open forum. People who know me understand what is happening at the moment.

In my wilder moments I cannot see the point of a three tier political system. East Herts has five major towns: Hertford, Ware, Buntingford, Bishop's Stortford and Sawbridgeworth. Taking Hertford as an example we have 16 councillors who are elected to represent the town. I believe that those 16 people are better placed, representing as they do their constituents who are residents of the town, to know what is best for the town than those who do not a) live here b) work here or c) represent the rurals. Let County take care of the rest of the countryside and collection of rates etc.

At present the Town council has control over closed churchyards, allotments, some signage, the TIC, entertainment in the town centre and is part of the consultation but not decision making on planning issues (may have missed some). I am sure that matters of alcohol, betting and taxi licensing, planning application and approvals, infratstructure, litter, signage, public conveniences and all the other small matters of town life are better understood and therefore better governed by those who live in, work in or represent the town.

I think the Town Council is a much better medium to run things but I fear that this will not happen in my lifetime.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 01 Apr, 2015 7:22 pm

SloopJohnB wrote:Not too sure where my four 'x's will go as I haven't seen all the candidates literature.
Nominations don't close until 9th April.

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 9:10 am

The choice not to vote is as much a democratic right as those who choose to do so.

At the moment I am undecided.

Personally I am more inclined to vote for someone who is not alligned to a mainstream polictical party and may have toe the line. I'm not saying they all do and maybe I am cynical.

LoucasX

Post by LoucasX » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 10:00 am

Sorry to hear that John will not be running for town council. I stood in 2010 general election as an independent and think it is important to have more independents at all tiers of government.

I took part because I was put off by party politics and had heard stories about how party politics and self interests at the Tory dominated district council were not serving us well.

However since I have been involved at Hertford Town FC and spent less time travelling for my day job I have been involved locally much more and I have to say there is no sign of party politics at Town Coucil. I have nothing but admiration for Tory town councillors like Isabel Sigmac, Chantel Geal, Jane Sartin, Peter Ruffles & Andrew Stevenson who seem to work tirelessly for the community. It is not just the limited number of things that are in their jurisdiction that they work on but they are always getting out there and organising and participating in "extra-curricular" activities.

Perhaps it gets more party political at district and county level and you could say that town/parish councils are the breeding ground for these, but I am thinking that we need to encourage more people to take part regardless of which parties colours they wear.

When I ran there was something that felt dirty about being part of the political system and this is very damaging. I have been at Hertford Town FC for 3 years now and some of my colleagues have just admitted to me that they did not trust me at first purely because they knew I was a "politician". We need less cynicism and then more people will step us as both party politicians and independents........then eventually there will be less to be cynical about.

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 12:56 pm

LoucasX wrote:Sorry to hear that John will not be running for town council. I stood in 2010 general election as an independent and think it is important to have more independents at all tiers of government.

I took part because I was put off by party politics and had heard stories about how party politics and self interests at the Tory dominated district council were not serving us well.

However since I have been involved at Hertford Town FC and spent less time travelling for my day job I have been involved locally much more and I have to say there is no sign of party politics at Town Coucil. I have nothing but admiration for Tory town councillors like Isabel Sigmac, Chantel Geal, Jane Sartin, Peter Ruffles & Andrew Stevenson who seem to work tirelessly for the community. It is not just the limited number of things that are in their jurisdiction that they work on but they are always getting out there and organising and participating in "extra-curricular" activities.

Perhaps it gets more party political at district and county level and you could say that town/parish councils are the breeding ground for these, but I am thinking that we need to encourage more people to take part regardless of which parties colours they wear.

When I ran there was something that felt dirty about being part of the political system and this is very damaging. I have been at Hertford Town FC for 3 years now and some of my colleagues have just admitted to me that they did not trust me at first purely because they knew I was a "politician". We need less cynicism and then more people will step us as both party politicians and independents........then eventually there will be less to be cynical about.

Loucas, I recall you standing that year and was interested because of your independence. I too am impressed by the likes of councillor Ruffles who has represented impressively over the years. Yet I am confused by the need to align with a major party when it is a town council election. Is it simply to ensure support from those who generally have an allegiance to one of the major parties? if so then I would not be surprised if those who vote for them do so because of such allegiance without understanding how that councillor will serve the local community best without direction from the party itself.

What would happen if the prospective town council candidates were not permitted to state whether they were Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrat, Green, etc, etc? Would voters be more inclined to want to get to know the candidates and what they stood for?

Aside from this, if you had won a seat, Loucas, would we have seen you on the roof of the council offices with a broom? (Hertford Town FC joke!!!!)

Golden

Post by Golden » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 1:10 pm

I would just like to endorse Loucas's comments regarding the present town councillors who have been involved in many of the good things happening in Hertford over the past few years (- building on Peter Ruffle's work over generations!)

And no party politics here as I'm on the other side of that particular fence!!

LoucasX

Post by LoucasX » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 11:26 pm

Very interesting suggestion ewoowar. I would love to see a town council election where there was no mention of party on the ballot paper......just an individuals name. I bet there would be many more people willing to be candidates as they would feel they had more of a chance without the party tags.

But again I would like to say that I have total admiration for anyone who stands at any level of government for any party. I respect them so much more than the cynics who slag them off without offering service themselves. If I get a knock on my door from a candidate this election, I will be shaking their hand and thanking them for enhancing our society......regardless of which party they represent.