Flooding last year

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
resigner
Flooding last year

Post by resigner » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 7:24 pm

Does anyone know if places like Millstream close, Millmead way and any other were flooded when the Beane flooded in February last year? I live in Molewood Road and know what happened there and into Port Vale, just want to see what happened on the other houses/roads around the river.

thanks all!

Let it Beane

Re: Flooding last year

Post by Let it Beane » Thu 19 Mar, 2015 11:08 pm

I used to live on Millstream Close and although the water level was pretty high it didn't get anywhere near the houses.

MultiDad

Post by MultiDad » Fri 20 Mar, 2015 10:07 am

i know that being flooded out is not a pleasant thing, but it does make me smile when i see on the news, residents of an affected town (I think it was in Gloucestershire last time) who have been flooded and the roadsign in the background of the news clip has a name like' Riverbank', 'Waterside' or 'Liable to flood each year Road' and they then say, i don't know how the government allow this sort of thing to happen' :lol:

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Fri 20 Mar, 2015 11:22 am

And how were the houses built at the end of Molewood Rd, near the junction with Beane Rd, permitted? They back on to an area regularly flooded.

Joby

Post by Joby » Fri 20 Mar, 2015 2:03 pm

Ewoowar wrote:And how were the houses built at the end of Molewood Rd, near the junction with Beane Rd, permitted? They back on to an area regularly flooded.
Three new ones almost complete at the other end of Molewood Road, opposite the junction with Wellington Street. On an area flooded last year.

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Fri 20 Mar, 2015 2:12 pm

Be interested how they get on with insurance...question.........has the house ever been flooded or is it in an area subject to flooding?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 20 Mar, 2015 4:25 pm

Hugh wrote:Be interested how they get on with insurance...question.........has the house ever been flooded or is it in an area subject to flooding?
As I recall, that end of Molewood Road didn't flood last year.

Joby

Post by Joby » Fri 20 Mar, 2015 4:59 pm

Steve wrote:
Hugh wrote:Be interested how they get on with insurance...question.........has the house ever been flooded or is it in an area subject to flooding?
As I recall, that end of Molewood Road didn't flood last year.
The land on which the new houses are being built didn't flood, but the works behind and to the side of them, which are slightly closer to river level, did.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 20 Mar, 2015 5:17 pm

There's a 31 page flood assessment that was submitted with the planning application

http://online.eastherts.gov.uk/rkyvport ... 14/0480/FP

Extract:

7.4 The Environment Agency has provided the latest modelled flood water levels in the
River Beane for the 100 year event including climate change. These levels show that
the site is located entirely outside of the 1000 year event.

7.5 Finished ground floor levels of the proposed development will be significantly above
the 100 year (including climate change) level of 39.41m AOD, and a safe pedestrian
access route from the site exists above this design level. It is recommended that the
finished floor level is also at least two courses of brickwork above the surrounding
ground level to minimise the risk of internal flooding in the event of localised flooding
from any source.

7.9 The flood risk assessment concludes that the site is unlikely to flood for events up to
and including the 1 in 100 year event (including climate change) and that the social,
economic and environmental consequences on site of flooding are expected to be
minimal following development.

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:28 am

The fact that it didn't flood last year does not mean that it won't flood in October, next year or five years time.

It is a risk area.

Plus insurance companies will not care. If the land surrounding it has flooded in the past then the premiums are likely to be high. And all it takes is one property nearby to have made a claim for any form of flood damage in the past few years and the record sticks.