Scope

News and views on shopping in the county town.
SloopJohnB
Scope

Post by SloopJohnB » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 5:52 pm

I noticed that Scope are moving in to the premises in Railway Street previously occupied by Thomas Cook. I am not against charity shops but this will make 8 in the town centre (including Emmaus in North Road).

I do not actively subscribe to the favoured opinion that a shop trading whatever it is, is better than an empty shop. I happen to believe that serious efforts ought to be made to encourage a national retailer to locate to Hertford. In 2007 East Herts Council commissioned a Retail and Town Centre Study from Chase & Partners (who had offices in Regent Street, London). They noted in Appendix C within the study of the five main East Herts towns that Hertford ranks highly in the number of published retailer requirements - 64 - which is a healthy figure for a town of Hertford's size.

I quote: The list of retailers includes Argos, Austin Reed, Bon Marche, Laura Ashley, Phase Eight, Ponden Mill, Sainsbury's, Fat Face, TK Maxx and B&Q. These are well known brands, many considered 'top flight' retailers which can add significantly to a town's retail offer.' I understood that these were part of a much larger hit list.

I would really like to know what effort has been made to encourage any of these to the town. Sainsbury's told me that they had been looking at Hertford for almost 30 years and were pleased to secure the McMullen site. As for the others I do not know. Woolworth's went empty and MacDonalds remains a home for distressed pigeons. We continue to be blessed with coffee shops, hairdressers and smoothie bars. I have no beef with the owners of these places - anyone opening a new business in these times gets my vote - but these places are not going to attract the day tripper looking for a designer bag to cart away their afternoons designer label shopping.

Kateg28

Re: Scope

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 9:15 am

Interestingly I was thinking about this the other day as I rarely venture into town (working full time during the week and sporting commitments on a Saturday) so when I did I was pleasantly surprised by the number of new 'interesting' shops. They might not be new but I hadn't noticed them before.

I cite the cake making shop and sweet shop in the alley near the post office, there is a little shop near Irons that sells all sorts of stuff and then there is the a couple of other shops selling interesting stuff.

My friends and I normally have a weekend away and incorporate it into Christmas shopping in interesting little shops. We often go to Lewes or Brighton but it seems Hertford is becoming a rival if the trend continues.

Hugo Kane

Post by Hugo Kane » Fri 13 Mar, 2015 1:34 am

I think there's a fairly decent variation of shops in Hertford. Of course it could be better but you can't expect people to open places that aren't going to realise a profit.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Fri 13 Mar, 2015 9:00 am

Who's old enough to remember this:

http://youtu.be/fH-E6J5TJTY

:D :D