Project Leader
Re: Simon Balle

Post by Steve » Sat 07 Feb, 2015 6:13 pm

son.jpg
son.jpg (41.42KiB)Viewed 12613 times

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Sun 08 Feb, 2015 10:48 am

The pupils involved in these figures for Simon Balle all did their GCSE maths exams the year before in Year 10. I wonder if that had an impact on the figures?

codek2

Post by codek2 » Sun 08 Feb, 2015 6:48 pm

why was that then newgirl? I've heard of some kids doing their exams early, but only when they're ahead, the whole class went ahead? weird!

gemipicorn

Post by gemipicorn » Sun 08 Feb, 2015 7:26 pm

Steve wrote:
son.jpg

It's sad that this is so true. I for one am glad I took no notice of the tables they paint such a false impression.

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Sun 08 Feb, 2015 9:17 pm

I think it was because they started the syllabus in year 9 and then they announced changes to the format and syllabus which meant they either had to sit it a year early or start all over again with the new format in year 10. The whole year did it early but I'm not sure if this had an impact on the figures?

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 9:50 am

i see, interesting.

what do you use to judge then gemipicorn?

Admittedly the tables are only one way to judge a school, but ultimately those results do directly affect whether or not they get into the university of choice. Of course; Once they're into the university stage, all their school results become irrelevant anyway.

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 11:52 am

So - if we are talking about university admissions and A levels, then Simon Balle tops both Presdales and Richard Hale with its results and "outstanding" graded Sixth Form.

But you are right, its not all about tables in isolation. You also need to pick the school with the ethos that best matches your own families view of education and that child's future place in the world. Hard choices, but how lucky we are to have real choice in Hertford :D

gemipicorn

Post by gemipicorn » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 8:06 pm

codek2 wrote:i see, interesting.

what do you use to judge then gemipicorn?

Admittedly the tables are only one way to judge a school, but ultimately those results do directly affect whether or not they get into the university of choice. Of course; Once they're into the university stage, all their school results become irrelevant anyway.
They way I see it any child will do their best at a school that they are happy at.

It is a very well to say one school kicks out more grade As and Bs but their intake are children that are all expected to get grade As how can you say that it is better than a school that has more Bs and Cs if their intake is children that are expected to get Ds. Tables only tell you what they produce, not what the school is actually like and therefore what it can do for your child. Not every child is right for university and to my mind should not be the only goal.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 8:48 pm

but the stats do show those things. The stats show % of achievers or whatever the terminology is, and those who did better than expected. There are a lot of stats! ( much to many teachers annoyance, including a head i spoke to a few weeks ago! )

So a school that is bringing more E's to C's will show through in the stats. (for example!)

gemipicorn

Post by gemipicorn » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 9:04 pm

codek2 wrote:but the stats do show those things. The stats show % of achievers or whatever the terminology is, and those who did better than expected. There are a lot of stats! ( much to many teachers annoyance, including a head i spoke to a few weeks ago! )

So a school that is bringing more E's to C's will show through in the stats. (for example!)

OK maybe I am wrong but in my experience people only take notice of the stats they want to ie the number of As and Bs they produce. I suppose you could say that it's not so much the stats that I wrong but the way they are interpreted. The impression I got when we were going through the process was they many were looking at a schools position on the tables and nothing else. I know many that didn't even bother to visit all the schools available to them.

I guess what I am saying is that there is so much more to a school than stats and that is what, imho, many people seem to forget.