Senova Cycles

Requests and recommendations for local crafts and tradesmen
Robbo
Senova Cycles

Post by Robbo » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 2:11 pm

I took one of my bikes to Senova Cycles for a tune-up.
Good service, good price, completed quickly and on time.
It's nice to have a local bike shop who are used to handling quality, I hope their business proves to be sustainable.

gregb

Re: Senova Cycles

Post by gregb » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 9:38 pm

"Good service, good price, completed quickly and on time"

4 reasons to take my bike there rather than the other mob behind Sainsbury's

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 9:44 pm

in defence of the other "mob" i used them, and was happy with the price and service. granted they wernt amazingly quick though.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 1:41 pm

I have used the Other Mob in their Ware branch lots of times and they have always been brilliant. The one in Hertford told me they were targeting the more professional cyclist and directed me to the Ware branch for day to day cycling stuff.

They were still very lovely in the Hertford branch though.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 1:44 pm

The good thing about Senova is that the guy in there is clearly a passionate cyclist himself who is channeling that passion into a business.

I went into the other lot around the corner last year to enquire about servicing etc but wasn't overly impressed with their response. In the same way you wouldn't take a Ferrari to a back street car mechanic, you don't take a quality bike for some TLC to people who don't really seem that bothered about your custom!!

Joby

Post by Joby » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 12:10 pm

Robbo wrote:The good thing about Senova is that the guy in there is clearly a passionate cyclist himself who is channeling that passion into a business.

I went into the other lot around the corner last year to enquire about servicing etc but wasn't overly impressed with their response. In the same way you wouldn't take a Ferrari to a back street car mechanic, you don't take a quality bike for some TLC to people who don't really seem that bothered about your custom!!
Interesting. I do most bike stuff myself, but have used Highway Cycles for a few things that I didn't have the tools or knowledge to do myself. Always found them friendly, helpful and competent (Tom is an excellent and knowledgeable mechanic). Turnaround times can be a bit on the long side, especially in summer. What I really like is the fact that they aren't bike snobs, which I've experienced before when taking my heavily-upgraded-but-still-clearly-budget road bike in (which I love - wouldn't swap it for all the carbon in China).

It looks like there's not much overlap between the two businesses, with Senova targeting higher end road bikes and Highway taking the low-to-mid range road and MTB. Hope they both flourish. After all, the more bikes the better.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 12:59 pm

For what it is worth from a committed pedestrian with a committed cyclist in number one son Erol is a top man who runs a very professional shop and happy to give free, impartial and excellent advice. Would rather sell you something you need than what he can make more profit on.

gregb

Post by gregb » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 10:49 am

Took mine and my son's bike in for a couple of repairs. Very friendly guy. Knows his stuff and does a thorough job with the right parts - quality original parts not cheap replacements . Good communication throughout and a very fair price at the end of it.

The bikes were by no means professional carbon bikes so dont think you'll be frowned upon if you take an older cheaper bike in.

I'll definitely use this shop again for any repairs or advice in the future.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 10:44 am

My son completed the 100 mile London Surrey Bike ride yesterday. Not in any record time but made a lot of money for Clic Sargent. Errol made sure his bike was in tip top condition and am sure that somewhere in the cost was his own contribution to the charity. Bikers were popping in all week for a similar race check up.

Top guy Errol. Pleased to have an true independent retailer in town that cares not only about his business but customers also. He took a big gamble opening there considering the uncertainty of the Wrenbridge/Waitrose situation but he's worked hard and its worked out for him.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Thu 24 Sep, 2015 8:25 pm

Thread resurrection.....

My son has had his cycle stolen from Hertford East this evening (well most of it, they left the lock and the front wheel :shock: , reported to police on non emergency number) and as he uses a bike extensively I need to replace it pronto. I was going to try Highway cycles as always received good service but wondered about looking at Senova's offerings.

Where exactly are they and will they have something he will be interested in (mixed terrain, road and tow path riding) but really don't want to spend much. Under £400 if I can, definitely not more than £500. He is not a cyclist per se but uses a cycle as transport.(he is 17 so a man's bike, not a child's one).