What is the Hertford commute like?

For the customers of Greater Anglia, FCC and Network Rail
GJH
What is the Hertford commute like?

Post by GJH » Mon 12 Jan, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are looking at moving from London to Hertford, but I just wanted to get an idea of what the commute is like before we go any further. I wondered if anyone could tell me what the trains from/to Hertford North are like at peak times (I would be travelling to either Finsbury Park or Highbury & Islington) – can you always get on your desired train or is it a really busy commuter station? It would be from trains around 0745. This might be an expectation too far, but what are the chances of getting a seat? Are the trains generally reliable or are there often problems?

Any info or advice on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks
G

codek2

Re: What is the Hertford commute like?

Post by codek2 » Mon 12 Jan, 2015 5:17 pm

I don't get a train from hertford any more because the huge number of stops was frustrating. So I drive a few minutes to hatfield where you can be in kings cross in 22 mins. Finsbury park in 16! ( I live west of hertford making the choice of hatfield more natural for me than perhaps someone who actually lives in hertford within walking distance! )

When I did you could always get a seat yes, because the trains either start at hertford, or just 1-2 stops before.

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 8:49 am

I live a short walk from Hertford North, perhaps 7 minutes.

During regular periods of commuting from Hertford North over the last 20 years I have never failed to get a seat and depending upon the time you travel you should have a choice of seats.

Most commuter trains are 6 carriages in length.

Most trains seem to stop at all stations to Moorgate so the journey is longer than I would like. However for me it is far shorter than driving to somewhere like Hatfield, having to park (and pay for the pleasure) and then getting a fast train. The 'fast service' from Hertford simply omits a few of the small stations such as Bayford.

Hertford North is on a loop from the main line that runs from Stevenage.

The trains are usually reliable but, as I'm sure with most train services, they can go wrong.

The station has two desks for tickets but usually only one is staffed. However if you are buying season tickets or block sets of carnet cards you rarely have to use them. I find the staff at the desks helpful. There are also ticket machines but sometimes these are faulty. If I ever need a ticket for the following day I use the machine to buy for the following day to avoid any queues the next day.

The station has ticket barriers. Sometimes these are open (particularly out of peak times) but usually closed during peak. Ticket inspectors are present frequently during peak times and as much as I grumble about them they are only doing their job and if you have a valid ticket there would be no issue.

There is a shop at the station that is open from quite early.

If you need to drive to the station there is a car park on a road opposite and the pub opposite opens their car park for commuters (for a fee) - though I am not sure how long this will continue as I believe there is some doubt as to the future of the pub.

Parking in residential roads nearby is not possible as they are, rightly, yellow lined to stop commuters hogging the residential spaces.

Commuting the jopurney home is different. I get on at Moorgate and have never failed to get a seat. Getting on at later stations is different. Highbury and Islilington may be okay but by Finsbury Park the trains are sometimes very full.

I hope this helps.

Taxing

Post by Taxing » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 9:08 am

Another thing with buying a season ticket from Hertford is that they allow you to use both stations in Hertford, therefore if there are problems on the Hertford North line then you can just as easily use the Hertford East line (just the other side of the town centre), which serves Liverpool Street via either Tottenham Hale or Seven Sisters. Journey times are slightly slower and tend to run every 30 minutes rather than the every 20 minutes from Hertford North

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 9:13 am

Also, I've switched to using Carnet tickets rather than monthly or quarterly tickets as I am not in the office every day and travelling with Carnet tickets has proven cheaper. Carnet tickets are cheaper than day tickets. I was advised by the desk staff at the station that no trains to Hertford from London Stations are classed as peak.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 9:43 am

Taxing wrote:Another thing with buying a season ticket from Hertford is that they allow you to use both stations in Hertford, therefore if there are problems on the Hertford North line then you can just as easily use the Hertford East line (just the other side of the town centre), which serves Liverpool Street via either Tottenham Hale or Seven Sisters. Journey times are slightly slower and tend to run every 30 minutes rather than the every 20 minutes from Hertford North
I think you have to deliberately purchase a ticket that says Hertford Stations to enable changing lines at will. Having said that, if there is a problem on Hertford North and you have a specific ticket you can easily swap to other line. It is just if you want to swap about yourself at whim.

I work nearer Liverpool St but live nearer Hertford North so I do swap about a bit.

The Hertford North trains are more frequent but slower, I think they are every 15 minutes or so from Hertford North. Never had a problem getting a seat unless there has been issues and I can count those times on one hand over the 5 years I have lived in Hertford.

GJH

Post by GJH » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 10:15 am

Thanks everyone, that's really useful. We will probably come and stay for a few days to test the commute and what it would be like to live in Hertford so if anyone knows of any nice, reasonable places to stay that would also be good to know! Thanks, G

Taxing

Post by Taxing » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 11:53 am

Kateg28 wrote:
Taxing wrote:Another thing with buying a season ticket from Hertford is that they allow you to use both stations in Hertford, therefore if there are problems on the Hertford North line then you can just as easily use the Hertford East line (just the other side of the town centre), which serves Liverpool Street via either Tottenham Hale or Seven Sisters. Journey times are slightly slower and tend to run every 30 minutes rather than the every 20 minutes from Hertford North
I think you have to deliberately purchase a ticket that says Hertford Stations to enable changing lines at will. Having said that, if there is a problem on Hertford North and you have a specific ticket you can easily swap to other line. It is just if you want to swap about yourself at whim.

I work nearer Liverpool St but live nearer Hertford North so I do swap about a bit.

The Hertford North trains are more frequent but slower, I think they are every 15 minutes or so from Hertford North. Never had a problem getting a seat unless there has been issues and I can count those times on one hand over the 5 years I have lived in Hertford.
The price of an annual season ticket which specifies "Hertford all stations" to "London Terminals" (or inclusive of zones 1-6 if you need underground) is the same as an annual season ticket specifying only one station.

Good places to stay Rigsbys Guest House or Salisbury Arms Hotel?

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 12:53 pm

As an aside...........as someone who moved from North London to hertford many years ago I have to say I have not regretted it.

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 3:30 pm

The only downside I've found to commuting from Jeetford North is the age of the rolling stock. The units are approaching 40 years old and prone to failure, in particular getting a heated carriage during the winter months is something of a lottery. However, there theybare going to be completely replaced in the next 3-4 years.

I've been commuting from Hertford North for 19 years and, apart from the occasional blip, it's not been too bad.