Independent Shops day - damp squib?

News and views on shopping in the county town.
MultiDad
Independent Shops day - damp squib?

Post by MultiDad » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 9:33 am

Did any of the rest of you try and support the 'Indie Shops' event across Hertford on saturday? Along with 3 sprogs, the wife and I ventured into town just after 10am as the two youngest wanted to complete the sticker challenge ( collecting 10 stickers from various shops across town). Despite the time and it being saturday, the first two shops were shut.... You have to wonder if these will be the shops that have 'closing down sale' postersin the window soon? Some of the other shops had stickers which were provided by the 'town centre manager' but most hadn't opened the envelope they were in and knew nothing of the activities such as Morris Dancing and some singers.

When i reflect on the 'event', i have the following concerns..

Are the two shut shops so successful they don't need the saturday morning shoppers?
What the hell does the Town Centre Manager do to justify their salary?
What can Hertford do to shake the traders into action?
Is what we want in Maidenhead Street /area outside Greggs on a saturday, a loud mouthed 'trader' selling chinese batteries, near it's sell by date fruitcake, cheap screwdrivers and the like?

mdja

Re: Independent Shops day - damp squib?

Post by mdja » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 3:38 pm

I was in town on Saturday and didn't spot any sign of the 'Indie Shops' event, even though I knew it was supposedly happening. There was quite an entertaining Junk/Vintage/Christmas market at the Dog & Whistle, but I don't think that was connected at all. Didn't see any Morris dancers, but wasn't aware there were supposed to be any.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 4:01 pm

Saw the Morris dancers as I drove through Parliament Square just after 11am, As I was not shopping in town can't comment on the rest.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 5:57 pm

So this independent shops day thing, is a national event right? Kinda amusing.. They had exactly the same going on in Oxford.

jasmine98

Post by jasmine98 » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 8:52 pm

Whilst I agree with most of the points you have made regarding Hertford, Multidad, I must comment on those about the Hertford market and it's traders. Yes, we do need these traders, they are part of tradition as is the Saturday Market, which although not as large and varied as in past times still performs a service. The market attracts the locals where you can buy excellent greengrocery, bread, fish and plants to name a few items but inevitably there will be other stalls not quite so enticing for everyone and the 'loud' characters are part of this.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 4:03 am

codek2 wrote:So this independent shops day thing, is a national event right? Kinda amusing.. They had exactly the same going on in Oxford.
Like Black Friday, it's actually an American import

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Business_Saturday" target="_blank

Small Business Saturday is an American shopping holiday held on the Saturday after U.S. Thanksgiving during one of the busiest shopping periods of the year ... In 2010 the holiday was conceived and promoted by American Express ...

codek2

Post by codek2 » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 8:42 am

Crikey Steve, so it's couldn't be any less Independent!

arty

Post by arty » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 10:24 am

Steve wrote:
codek2 wrote:So this independent shops day thing, is a national event right? Kinda amusing.. They had exactly the same going on in Oxford.
Like Black Friday, it's actually an American import

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Business_Saturday" target="_blank

Small Business Saturday is an American shopping holiday held on the Saturday after U.S. Thanksgiving during one of the busiest shopping periods of the year ... In 2010 the holiday was conceived and promoted by American Express ...

...and the ironic thing is that when I had an 'independent' shop in the town, American Express charged us the most for accepting their cards :(