Ignoring road signs

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Marilyn
Ignoring road signs

Post by Marilyn » Fri 31 Oct, 2014 10:28 am

It may be my imagination but there seems to be a distinct lack of drivers taking any notice of road signs lately. This morning a van came from Fore Street to Parliament Square on the "buses only" route. Every morning I have seen people ignoring the no right turn 7.30 to 9.30 and the other day a car went from Bull Plain up Maidenhead Street towards The Wash.
Its always been a problem but it seems to be getting worse.

Golden

Re: Ignoring road signs

Post by Golden » Fri 31 Oct, 2014 11:20 am

You can add the short pedestrianised section of Railway Street to that list as the post seems to have gone missing lately, traffic both ways around Shire Hall although its access only and one way. I've seen police cars/vans (not on an emergency call) use the "buses only" route on a number of occasions so it must be OK as they are the upholders of the law.

Also annoying is seeing how fast you can accelerate up Old London Rd outside the fire station in an attempt to beat the queue/traffic lights at the roundabout.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 31 Oct, 2014 5:24 pm

... or people who don't indicate on roundabouts ... or use the left hand lane to turn right

The list is endless.

With regard to that part of Fore Street westbound, it's not technically buses only. I believe the sign indicates no motorised vehicle, except buses.

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Fri 31 Oct, 2014 7:58 pm

One of the more dangerous piece of driving is people who stay in the right-hand lane travelling towards Tesco along Gascoigne Way and go straight,when that lane is A414 only and there are a few near misses with traffic in the left lane(all routes) who are also taking the A414 turning.

buzz

Post by buzz » Sat 01 Nov, 2014 9:58 am

Likewise the morons who travel down London Road towards the town in the left hand lane and then go straight over at the roundabout towards Fore Street, when that lane is clearly signed to turn left onto Gascoyne Way, causing danger to vehicles in the right hand lane who wish to turn left. The signs clearly indicate that the right hand lane can be used for ALL routes! Similarly, I agree with Steve about drivers who fail to signal at roundabouts. I did once, when travelling along Gascoyne Way towards Hatfield, have a vehicle travelling in the other direction turn right at the roundabout by Hale Road, without signalling. I had started to enter the roundabout and the other driver sounded his horn aggressively at me.We both had to stop at the pedestrian crossing lights in Hertingfordbury Road. I stopped next to him and advised him that my car was fitted with disc brakes, air bags and a sat nav. What didn't have was a crystal ball, and that if he couldn't be bothered to signal I couldn't be bothered to guess.
Last edited by buzz on Sat 01 Nov, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sudi

Post by Sudi » Sat 01 Nov, 2014 6:30 pm

Speed limits seem to be looked upon more as targets than restrictions too!!

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 11:13 am

Steve wrote:... or people who don't indicate on roundabouts ... or use the left hand lane to turn right

The list is endless.

With regard to that part of Fore Street westbound, it's not technically buses only. I believe the sign indicates no motorised vehicle, except buses.

True, but the van I saw was motorised......................

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 11:15 am

Not forgetting those who use the inside lane coming down from County Hall then go all the way round towards Ware on the A414! had a few near misses with that one when I am in the middle lane going straight over.

dennismoore

Post by dennismoore » Thu 06 Nov, 2014 8:07 am

My gripe is with drivers who don't give way to pedestrians crossing at T-junctions... especially when it's raining!