Breathalysing Before Pub Entry

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Kateg28
Re: Breathalysing Before Pub Entry

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 9:32 am

Darcy Sarto wrote:
Steve wrote:
Kateg28 wrote:Surely it should be on behaviour? If someone appears drunk then refuse entry?
Exactly, just because someone's had >4 pints doesn't mean they're going to start a fight or misbehave. Conversely, just because someone's had <4 pints doesn't mean they're not going to be trouble. This is a very blunt instrument.
Blunt but objective. The ability of a nightclub/bar bouncer to make an objective behavioural analysis of potential patrons must, understandably, be compromised from time to time?
I agree with the objectivity.
It appears that the bad behaviour of a few people unable to hold their drink, once again ruin it for everyone else and force establishments to find a measureable objective benchmark.
Not sure why I am overly worried, I cannot remember when I went into a place that has bouncers.

Oh apart from a Saturday a few weeks ago when I went to visit a friend's daughter who has started work in the templars :oops:

codek2

Post by codek2 » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 10:12 am

but the law is nothing to do with behaviour. the law is simply that they shouldnt serve already drunk people. How do you objectively know if someone is drunk, a breathaliser. Simple. As I said before it seems highly likely someone is putting pressure on the terms of their license due to recent trouble - whether thats the police or council who knows.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 1:51 pm

codek2 wrote:As I said before it seems highly likely someone is putting pressure on the terms of their license due to recent trouble - whether thats the police or council who knows.
The Stone House have said that there is no connection with the recent death of a bouncer.

From The Mercury:
It comes two months after 54-year-old doorman James Darrah was killed in an assault outside the club in Plain Bull, although manager Ty Younger insists the two are not linked.

Golden

Post by Golden » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 2:00 pm

In my opinion its there to protect the doormen from abuse from those who insist they're not 'drunk' where the breathalyser will come out to prove the fact; I really can't see it being used that often. As others have pointed out its all about personal limits anyway and I do remember a very well respected publican in Hertford who would try and fight the world after one pint - hence he didn't drink very often - and others can drink happily for hours without a problem so this isn't the answer to all the problems. There is a flaw in my opinion in those that want entry and look intoxicated but pass a test - it won't be able to measure any narcotic intake.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 2:05 pm

Most people who have drunk 4 pints will be at least 'half-cut'. Add to that the Stonehouse is open until 2am, refusing entry to people who are well on their way to being totally s*** faced with a good few hours of drinking time ahead, and the grief that causes for other punters(let alone the bar staff and bouncers) seems a sensible thing to do. Using the breathalyser takes the subjectivity out of it, and can be applied fairly and consistently.
Nothing worse than having your enjoyment spoiled by a p***** up tw*t who has drunk too much too soon. :lol:

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Fri 07 Nov, 2014 7:22 pm

It's down to the licensee, he should not allow drunks on his premises. A licensee in the 70's and 80's could lose his licence for serving drunks, under age drinking, drugs, rowdiness etc, it seems it's quite hard now to lose your licence, relaxed laws, no policing etc, and they didn't need bouncers then, well not in Hertford. Just a strict code of conduct is needed, if you caused trouble you were barred.......not for a day, or a week,...........for life, and it worked. You have to rule people when you are serving alcohol, there are too many mamby pamby landlords wanting to take as much cash as they can. Short term profit rather than an orderly house, so if they are breathalysing people on the way in and running an orderly house, that's got to be a good way forward for them if they are having trouble and think it's a good idea, maybe it will suit them. It's a difficult job, but as I said before you have to rule the public with a rod of iron.......no excuses..3 strikes and you are out.