Maidenhead St updates

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Darcy Sarto
Re: Maidenhead St updates

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 4:19 am

Yes - make your own informed choice.

Just for information monosodium glutamate is a naturally occurring salt and present in many foods (not always as an additive). Yes you can "Google it" and find all sorts of alarming hokum and this:

http://www.eufic.org/article/en/artid/m ... glutamate/" target="_blank

Statistics relating to the spread of bacterial diseases via chicken carcasses should be considered against the fact that the "domestic" (which includes factory reared) chicken is simply the most numerous bird in the world. I think I might prefer antibiotics to a dose of salmonella, listeria or campylobacter (although indiscriminate use of antibiotics does reduce their effectiveness over time and should be discouraged for that reason alone)...

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 9:27 am

buzz wrote:
Kateg28 wrote:
buzz wrote:"since when was chicken junk food?????????"
Well, possibly when it's smothered in batter, deep fried & served with a mountain of chips?
Define junk food. Batter is a natural product containing flour, water and salt (and nothing else), the deep frying method can leave it with less fat per portion than any other takeaway and chips are potatoes.

No E numbers or preservatives etc

What is the definition of junk food?
(just to be clear I have never even see this shop and was oblivious to it's existence until this thread, cannot even remember where Clintons were either :D )
That is a very idealistic view of what a Fried Chicken outlet supplies. 1.The chickens aren't produced by happily chirping around a farmyard. They are mass produced and pumped full of antibiotics which is legal. Salmonellosis and campylobacteriosis are among the most frequently reported foodborne diseases worldwide. Commercial chicken meat has been identifed as one of the most important food vehicles for these organisms (Source:Report of The Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations and World Health Organisation.)

2.Whatever they are coated in, batter or breaded, they contain vast amounts of salt and Monosodium Glutamate. The effects of MSG are reported to be many....too many to list here, but just Google it.

3.Commercial deep frying often contains Trans fat otherwise known as Trans Fatty Acids. It is used because it doesn't have to be changed as often as other oils. It is a process where oil is hydrogenised. It is shown to raise LDL (bad cholesterol) and lower the levels of HDL (good cholesterol.) This raises the chances of heart disease. In addition Trans fats are believed responsible for 7000 deaths a year in the UK, and teenagers are most at risk (Source The Independent Sep. 2011)
However, you are free to make your choice....chacun a son gout. Bon Appetite!
I don't need to google it, I really do not need to be patronised about it. You made a sweeping statement "Well, possibly when it's smothered in batter, deep fried & served with a mountain of chips" and I refuted that is junk food.
I can positively state without the need for google that not all batter has Monosodium Glutamate in it.

Please do not lecture me on deep frying. I can provide more facts on it than you can put on a plate. I accept that some of the fats used have trans fatty acids but not all and some have trace quantities. And how the oil is maintained and how the food is fried also has an effect on the food content. Deep Fat frying can be less fatty than shallow fried food.
There are risks in all we do and all diets have some 'bad' elements (I had two chocolates yesterday and I bet thousands dies of obesity) but not all 'fast food' is junk food.
A tesco prawn sandwich on brown bread has more fat content by volume (25%) than a portion of cod, chips and mushy peas (7%)

I wil state however my knowledge is based on a fish and chip shop, not a fried chicken outlet.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 1:49 pm

There are some significant differences between traditional fish and chip shops and burger / chicken fast food outlets, in terms of ingredients used.

For example, factory produced frozen skinny fries have a much higher fat content than traditional chips that you would get at the chippy.

2 pieces of KFC chicken and regular fries delivers in excess of 700 calories, and 60% of you daily fat intake. Go large and you are talking 1000 calories plus 80% of your fat intake. Add on a Costa Coffee express as sold in petrol stations from machines and you will have exceeded you recommended daily intake of fat. That's without breakfast, lunch, snacks etc. Quite frightening. :o

Golden

Post by Golden » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 2:20 pm

Love the story in the Mercury

"Anatolia, which currently has a branch in St Albans, will open at the Maidenhead Street venue, a worker from the restaurant has confirmed today (November 5).

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/T ... z3ICSB9rBJ" target="_blank

Nothing to do with the huge great sign above the shop that's been there since at least Friday!!

Louis M

Post by Louis M » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 2:26 pm

If its a chicken shop like Galos then its not Junk. If it is battered like KFC, its Junk food, I don't know how anyone can think otherwise. I agree that an occupied unit is better than empty, however Maidenhead street is currently a total hole which lets the town down.

Anyway, how did you guys find out about the Turkish, is it going to be a proper restaurant?

Louis M

Post by Louis M » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 2:26 pm

Answered my question John!

Golden

Post by Golden » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 2:44 pm

mdja

Post by mdja » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 4:52 pm

Louis M wrote:Anyway, how did you guys find out about the Turkish, is it going to be a proper restaurant?
They have a massive sign up, that's how I found out... Having seen the website it looks a lot more promising, not a 'kebab shop' after all.

Anyway, apologies all for inadvertently launching a debate about what is / isn't junk food (personally I will eat anything and love chicken cooked any way but raw).

buzz

Post by buzz » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 5:12 pm

"I don't need to google it, I really do not need to be patronised about it. You made a sweeping statement "Well, possibly when it's smothered in batter, deep fried & served with a mountain of chips" and I refuted that is junk food.
I can positively state without the need for google that not all batter has Monosodium Glutamate in it.

Please do not lecture me on deep frying. I can provide more facts on it than you can put on a plate. I accept that some of the fats used have trans fatty acids but not all and some have trace quantities. And how the oil is maintained and how the food is fried also has an effect on the food content. Deep Fat frying can be less fatty than shallow fried food.
There are risks in all we do and all diets have some 'bad' elements (I had two chocolates yesterday and I bet thousands dies of obesity) but not all 'fast food' is junk food.
A tesco prawn sandwich on brown bread has more fat content by volume (25%) than a portion of cod, chips and mushy peas (7%)

I wil state however my knowledge is based on a fish and chip shop, not a fried chicken outlet.Kateg28
I never suggested that ALL batter contains MSG. Just that used in Fried Chicken shops.
As your knowledge is based on a fish and chip shop, not a Fried Chicken shop your points hold no validity as they are seperate types of concerns.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 8:29 pm

mdja wrote:
Louis M wrote:Anyway, how did you guys find out about the Turkish, is it going to be a proper restaurant?
They have a massive sign up, that's how I found out... Having seen the website it looks a lot more promising, not a 'kebab shop' after all.

Anyway, apologies all for inadvertently launching a debate about what is / isn't junk food (personally I will eat anything and love chicken cooked any way but raw).
Have you just invented Chicken Carpaccio? - culinary Russian Roulette (which is not a vodka based dessert).