Bircherley Green Redevelopment

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Capitalist Piglet
Re: Bircherley Green Redevelopment

Post by Capitalist Piglet » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 11:04 pm

Old Charm. My thoughts exactly. Fore St bus only. (Which will be interesting for us on The Folly) but these are very, very early silly bids (4 storeys?!) in a very big Hertford poker game. Will go on for years. Sit back & enjoy the ride.....

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 21 Aug, 2014 11:45 am

Capitalist Piglet wrote:Will go on for years. Sit back & enjoy the ride.....
By which time Waitrose will have gone.

Deagio are keen to get this moving ASAP, so I would expect this to go on for, ooh, months ;)

George

Post by George » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 2:38 pm

Proposals are up now...

http://www.bircherleygreenregeneration. ... posals.htm" target="_blank

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 4:22 pm

So we lose the few shops we have, Boots, New Look, Rose cafe etc. Lloyds Bank etc, are they expected to cease trading whilst the development goes on......................and it still does not explain how they will use Fore Street for the buses.......................

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 5:34 pm

It does state :
This means relocating the bus terminals on Bircherley Street. We are developing a carefully-designed scheme to do this and are in discussions with Hertfordshire County Council about how this could take place.
Currently, we are looking at creating upgraded, modern bus stops at Fore Street and elsewhere nearby in the town centre.

Also,wasn't Fore Street used ,along with opposite the current bus station when the bus station was updated a few years ago.

Capitalist Piglet

Post by Capitalist Piglet » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 9:27 pm

Steve wrote:
Capitalist Piglet wrote:Will go on for years. Sit back & enjoy the ride.....
By which time Waitrose will have gone.

Deagio are keen to get this moving ASAP, so I would expect this to go on for, ooh, months ;)
Steve, I do suspect that this will be done in stages. And am I wrong in suggesting that Waitrose are playing a rather good poker game. And have done for some time....

daneel

Post by daneel » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 2:52 pm

Having an open car park on the riverfront seems to miss a trick - surely a cafe or a somewhere to eat along with some outside space for a market or just seating would be better than a car park? And given the close proximity of Sainsburys car park, are 301 spaces really needed? Surely the 150 spaces in the planned basement car park is sufficient?

Also not sure how a bus station relocated to Fore St would work, if at all.

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 4:31 pm

I can't see the problem with using Fore Street and another location for the re-location of the bus station. Fore Street already has buses stopping on it. Depending on where the other location is,there can be a good split of the buses,depending on which direction they are going.

bubbaoshea

Post by bubbaoshea » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 3:52 pm

Interesting.

First view of the plan and i'd say surely it would make more sense to have bars, shops, restaurants along the water front rather than a car park as they would be much more aesthetically pleasing.

Fiona124

Post by Fiona124 » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 5:14 pm

Totally agree about the carpark...wasting a great spot for cafes along the river to put in a large carpark. Apparently waitrose want 200 street level spaces. From speaking to the centre team on Saturday it seems that its all been planned to keep waitrose happy.