Steve
Project Leader
Carnival Cancelled

Post by Steve » Mon 02 Jun, 2014 4:55 pm

Due to lack of interest, allegedly.

Mrs T

Re: Carnival Cancelled

Post by Mrs T » Mon 02 Jun, 2014 10:07 pm

I heard it was because of insurance cost?
But whatever the reason, it's a shame for the county town that it can't put on a show!

Golden

Post by Golden » Mon 02 Jun, 2014 10:38 pm

And very sad for all of those that had put the effort in to join the procession; I'm sure many were looking forward to it.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 12:37 am

Mrs T wrote:I heard it was because of insurance cost?
But whatever the reason, it's a shame for the county town that it can't put on a show!
Just found this on their website:

"Due to not enough participants, we are unhappy to announce that the the carnival will not be taking place in its advertised format.

However we are currently trying to negotiate an alternative so that the signed-up participants and all spectators can still enjoy a community day on Sunday 22 June. We don’t know if we will be successful at such short notice, but we will do our best.
"

http://www.hertfordcarnival.org.uk" target="_blank

Seems strange as last year's event was such a success.

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 10:14 am

Just a thought, but the Ware Carnival procession & day is on Sat 5 July - perhaps an opportunity for people that were prepared with floats for the Hertford Carnival to manage to get out, process, and promote their organisation. It might feel like going over to the dark side, but Ware's really not that far away! [Disclosure: I'm from Ware, but am happy to enjoy Hertford]

Details at http://www.waretowncouncil.gov.uk/Core/ ... val_4.aspx. The theme is "Cartoons & Superheroes", which is not quite "Nursery Rhymes", but hardly a million miles away...

Anorak

Post by Anorak » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 10:00 pm

Not enough interest? I find that very hard to believe. Last years was possibly the best carnival I've seen since I was a kid growing up in Leyton. Wonder if policing was an issue due to the World cup?

Such a shame. For once Hertford actually did something right and...............

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 1:55 am

Their PR people (or to be more accurate, the people doing their PR) really needs to sort themselves out. Now they're saying it's on again, but different

http://www.hertfordcarnival.org.uk" target="_blank

As Anorak noted above, last year's event was excellent, so I don't understand how they've messed up this year.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 5:58 am

what's with these ridiculous conspiracy theories?

Its a pretty simple story. No floats == no carnival. (Or not enough floats) No one entered, so instead they've put on a slightly different event

Its not a carnival without a procession!

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 11:50 am

codek2 wrote:what's with these ridiculous conspiracy theories?

Its a pretty simple story. No floats == no carnival. (Or not enough floats) No one entered, so instead they've put on a slightly different event

The Nursery Rhyme theme wasn't exactly inspiring IMHO

arty

Post by arty » Fri 06 Jun, 2014 9:29 am

Steve wrote:
codek2 wrote:what's with these ridiculous conspiracy theories?

The Nursery Rhyme theme wasn't exactly inspiring IMHO

Nursery Rhyme not inspiring? Try explaining that to Humpty Dumpty who apparently fell off his wall when he heard that the carnival had been cancelled...