Quarter Day Closures

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Steve
Project Leader
Quarter Day Closures

Post by Steve » Wed 02 Apr, 2014 1:53 pm

We seem to have hit a spike in retail closures around the quarter day

Artico
The Decorated Room
Hertford Cameras
Hertford Picture Framing Centre

This takes the retail vacancy rate up to 9%.

Maurader

Re: Quarter Day Closures

Post by Maurader » Wed 02 Apr, 2014 5:16 pm

This is getting a tad depressing. We await the fate of Waitrose too and I reckon more casualties to follow.
Other high quality towns such as St Albans, Hitchin, Harpenden,Stortford, Epping, Saffron Walden, even Ware seem to be doing a lot better and thriving in some cases. The High Street is for me about the only (partially) negative thing about Hertford and it seems to be a bit of a crisis now. Really not sure how to turn it around but the town layout doesn't help and when there's not enough quality shops people will be less inclined to bother. The town really has too many units for the way people shop now so we need to get all the best shops into one smaller central area! Worrying for the future of Hertford as the high street directly affects the attractiveness as a place to live. :cry:

mdja

Post by mdja » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 11:07 am

Just when I finally needed a picture framed as well.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 2:13 pm

The framers has been sold so at least it won't be empty although it will be a different use.

bubbaoshea

Post by bubbaoshea » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 4:09 pm

The rates and rent are just so high for start up independent businesses currently. No wonder so many fail and we are seeing more and more empty shops in town.

I wonder if there should be a sliding scale of rent/rate for say the first 5 years to entice people into the high street. Maybe minimal rate/rent for years 1 & 2 then a small increase for year 3, moving up in years 4 & 5.

Doing something like that (not entirely sure its possible) would hopefully allow more businesses to start and maybe make a go of it.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 5:07 pm

The framers didn't fail they had an offer on the building .....................hopefully they will remain in business in some way I have always had excellent service there!

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 5:15 pm

Marilyn wrote:The framers didn't fail they had an offer on the building .....................hopefully they will remain in business in some way I have always had excellent service there!
Plus it's not the kind of business that needs a High Street presence (and the accompanying expence)

Maurader

Post by Maurader » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 8:25 pm

A framers is exactly the type of business that needs a high street presence. You need to take your artwork in, look at all the different framing options and know you have left your art in good hands. This is not an internet type business.

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 8:34 pm

I agree with Steve. If you take a look at some of the out of town small industrial units,you will find plenty of thriving business,that used to be on the high street. The costs are considerably lower and access is usually easier as you are able to park right outside if you are driving

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 8:39 pm

Maurader wrote:A framers is exactly the type of business that needs a high street presence. You need to take your artwork in, look at all the different framing options and know you have left your art in good hands. This is not an internet type business.
I was referring specifically to a High Street presence. Non-retail premises outside the town centre would be less expensive whilst still giving the customer a face-to-face service.