Awful new Off Licence

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Maurader
Awful new Off Licence

Post by Maurader » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:57 pm

Something needs to be done by the Council to sort out the awful new off-licence that has opened in the old Blockbuster unit. The new (foreign) owners are clearly not in the least bit interested in presenting the shop in a way that is sympathetic to the environment around them. Tonight I noticed they had stuck one of those terrible flashing 'Open' signs in the window. Those signs should be banned, especially in a conservation area. Their windows are a mess, they have no signage up etc I'm hoping that the Council will get a grip of these jokers. Hopefully they won't last long anyway given that there are already 2 established off licences within 100mtrs. I certainly will never go in there!

Marilyn

Re: Awful new Off Licence

Post by Marilyn » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 9:03 am

They did have awful sighage but were made to take it down as it did not have permission. Not sure if the flashing sign needs permission though.................

Anorak

Post by Anorak » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 11:14 pm

The Grapevine also has a flashing Open sign

mdja

Post by mdja » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 2:08 pm

Every business these days needs a flashing Open sign, it seems.

I wish the council (or anyone actually) would do something about the awful window-covering prints of booze bottles etc. I suspect the regulations haven't managed to keep up with advances in affordable large-format printing.

Maurader

Post by Maurader » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 10:15 pm

I've written to EHDC Planning to complain and ask what they are going to do about things like this.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Fri 14 Mar, 2014 12:57 am

I trust you have a quite well defined presentation of "things like this"?

By the way and not to do with Hertford (sorry admin') there is a shop that sells the flashy signs on Green Lanes in Haringey - it is quite a sight :o