Old Cross 6-way Traffic Lights

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
arty
Old Cross 6-way Traffic Lights

Post by arty » Sun 02 Mar, 2014 1:48 pm

A little bit of forethought on behalf of the contractors replacing the gas mains at Old Cross would have been helpful.

The queue coming out of Sainsbury's this morning (Sunday) was absolutely horrendous.

An extra (carefully programmed) temporary traffic light at the junction of Hartham Lane and Cowbridge must be essential at weekends, surely?

And as for the likely traffic jam, tomorrow, Monday.....

Ted Badger

Re: Old Cross 6-way Traffic Lights

Post by Ted Badger » Sun 02 Mar, 2014 2:19 pm

Yep - Sainsbury's car park is currently gridlocked.

They definitely should have put traffic lights for hartham as well - there's only a couple of cars being let out by the main road queue at each change in lights.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Sun 02 Mar, 2014 4:15 pm

It was pretty bad yesterday (sat ) morning just before 9, what it will be like Monday I hate to think......................Oh well theres always the "Rat run" a lot of people were trying that yesterday (Sat) and that was almost as bad!

You would think they might have held off for the Easter holidays at least........................

carlos fandango

Post by carlos fandango » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 8:00 am

Might have made sense to open up the access between car parks by Hartham to allow people to exit onto port hill and then turn right and go around the town centre. As the bottom of Port Hill was gridlocked a temp light there wouldn't have made any difference at all and might even have helped.

Ted Badger

Post by Ted Badger » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 2:49 pm

The strange thing is that they've got a traffic light on the little lane that runs by the side of the old library.
I can't imagine queues of cars needing to be controlled coming out of there.

I wonder if that was intended for Hartham lane but they've put it in the wrong place?

arty

Post by arty » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 5:49 pm

Word has it that the contractors have given up and that the whole set up is being dismantled because of the disruption (Monday 4.30pm)

It'll be interesting to know the politics behind this traffic debacle - and when, or if, the work that needed doing will be undertaken. The summer holidays i.e. August might be a bit more suitable perhaps (imho)

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 8:48 am

They have all been pushed to the pavements so hopefully it wil stay that way. Must have been a nightmare for large Sainsbury's delivery lorries over the weekend.