Former Bob Hill Motorcycles, Cowbridge

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Steve
Project Leader
Former Bob Hill Motorcycles, Cowbridge

Post by Steve » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 3:30 pm

The former motorcycle shop in Cowbridge has now been empty for many years and looks to be in a poor state of repair. Sadly it looks as if this building will follow the former audio shop in St.Andrews Street in being abandoned by both it's owners and the local planning authority (by failing to ensure that listed buildings are properly looked after).

TcfL

Re: Former Bob Hill Motorcycles, Cowbridge

Post by TcfL » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 2:59 pm

I see Historic England says: "There is no direct legal obligation on the owner of a heritage asset to carry out repairs. However, local and central government may force repairs to be carried out by using an urgent works notice on a listed building not in use, or to a part not in use, where the works are urgently necessary for its preservation. If the works are not carried out by the owner, the authority has the power to enter the property, carry out the works and seek to recover the costs from the owner." Perhaps EHDC feels it does not (yet) meet those requirements?

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 12:17 pm

With so many people needing housing, could not a change of use occur so that it could be used for ground and first floor flats/apartments? I hate seeing it empty and a sight for sore eyes as well as the fact I am surprised it hasn't been vandalised ! When are Councils elected to represent us, grow up, smell the coffee and take the initiative and stop expecting others to do their job. Lets get some action on this property its been empty several years now.... :evil:

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 8:54 pm

I think some of the difficulties are 1. It will be included in EHDC District Plan as an employment site; 2. No matter what you do - refurbish it for employment or convert it into accommodation - cost,especially when you consider where it is located and, as it is listed, it possibly means many hoops to go through. I'm no expert so just my thoughts.

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 3:07 pm

I am sure you are right, but when, and it will, crumble, burn or injure someone or property then its no good just ignoring the premises and saying you didn't know it was in such a state of disrepair.. I am astonished that Hertford Town Council hasn't been applying pressure, its a beautiful building and letting it become a derelict bomb site sends out the wrong message to anyone visiting... Its hideous... I hope that common sense prevails and we try and get this building repaired and used again whereby money can be made on its use or uses..

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 9:41 am

I think everyone with an interest in the town would endorse your sentiments and lets hope EHDC and HTC do look at this forum.

monkeyman1974

Post by monkeyman1974 » Sun 28 Jan, 2018 8:14 pm

There are no empty rates on listed properties, so this won't be costing the Landlord much beyond insurance. It's a nightmare for a developer as the listed status, and use make it unlettable. (I'm not the landlord :D )

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 8:14 am

has anyone asked the town council? maybe they do know more?

maybe the owners are not contactable any more?