Rock At The Castle 2017

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Steve
Project Leader
Rock At The Castle 2017

Post by Steve » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 4:48 pm

Rock at The Castle takes place this year on Sunday 6th August 2017.

This year's charity is Richard Hale School, to help fund the school's proposed new sports hall.

newcomer

Re: Rock At The Castle 2017

Post by newcomer » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 1:59 pm

Hmm, not sure everyone would consider this charity in the strictest sense.

And what about the other schools in the town? Is Richard Hale the most deserving or needy?

I see the press release (pdf) says:

it's "in recognition of the school’s 400th anniversary", it's also Simon Balle's 60th anniversary this year, should they get a prize too?

One could argue Sele is the more in need of the secondaries.

It also says:

"Many of its former pupils became Hertford Town Councillors and Mayors of the town, and Councillors"

Hmm, one suspects this may be the main reason.

I wonder what the performers/organisers think?

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 9:28 am

Hi Newcomer. This is a point made by a few of us on Facebook and other social media sites at the moment. Personally I feel that it shouldn't be for them and I also asked the point "what about all the other schools in the locality"? However the decision has been made. I hope that it doesn't put anyone off from attending or performing.. but.... if HTC are reading any of these threads, perhaps you need to realise that most of us consider charity something very different when the school is now an "Academy" ...

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 10:04 am

I also saw something on one of my Facebook feeds where a lot of people are unhappy with the plans for the new sports hall saying that it is badly designed and will obscure the current view of the frontage - I haven't seen these plans though. Looks like this could be an unpopular choice for several reasons :roll:

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 11:35 am

Drama Queen wrote:I also asked the point "what about all the other schools in the locality"?
Maybe there should be a bucket for each school and each attendee can decide which to support and it can all be split in proportion like in Waitrose! :D

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 09 May, 2017 4:07 pm

Statement from Richard Hale School:

"The School is very grateful to those of you who have shown your support of the Sports Hall project in recent weeks and the large number of written positive comments on the planning application has been noted by East Herts Council. However, we have had to take into consideration concerns raised by the local community, and to continue our good relationship with all stakeholders, the School has reached a decision to withdraw the planning application in its current form.

We are working closely with our architects on a new scheme which will be submitted within the next few weeks. We will, of course, keep you updated.

In our quest to raise funds to equip the Sports Hall to the highest specification we look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at the upcoming 400th Anniversary events."

Footfruit

Post by Footfruit » Wed 10 May, 2017 2:36 pm

"... to the highest specification ..."
That's nice.

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Thu 11 May, 2017 11:28 am

When I looked at the school website and other sites about this I couldn't see any indication that there was any intention to allow this sports hall to be used for any activity by anyone outside the school - does anyone know any different to that? I know the other schools' halls are used by various clubs and groups out of hours.

That seems to make it a bit unfair on the other schools to single them out for a payment towards what is still only one step above a "pipe dream" . I'm sure the other schools both have pipe dreams (and leaking roofs ) they would all like help with. Especially as their current sports halls are - I believe - both older than the Richard Hale one.

How about if the Rock at the Castle team agreed to donate 2018 profits to Sele and 2019 to Simon Balle OR just split 2017 three ways? :idea:

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 12 May, 2017 3:11 am

newgirl wrote:How about if the Rock at the Castle team agreed to donate 2018 profits to Sele and 2019 to Simon Balle OR just split 2017 three ways? :idea:
Or maybe independent teams could go around this year's Rock At The Castle collecting for other schools.

newgirl

Post by newgirl » Fri 12 May, 2017 12:41 pm

Sorry Steve, I cant get this vision of Sele and Simon Balle children holding out begging buckets to see if anyone has any money left after buying their entry tickets to benefit Richard Hale . Preferably in Dickensian costumes :o